warden or bard in rvr?

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Whichever best fits your playstyle.

Bard needs good targeting, good fast intuitive decision making, fast reactions, and a tolerance for seeing most of the action from flat on the ground.

Warden needs patience, a good overview, tactical decision making, and a tolerance for the fact that there will always be other characters around who can either tank better than you or do more damage than you or heal better than you.

In my experience it's a question of pace. Bard is fast paced & intuitive. Warden is slower & more thought-out. Bards can be a fast fight-winner. A well-played Wardens contribution is more subtle.

I doubt there are ever really enough of either of them tbh.
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

zlopke wrote:was wondering about that, the usefulness of pbt these days

got into some groups the last few days but that was probably only because of the wardenspeed :( (all groups were without a bard)
PBT currently is a very minor part of the usefullness of a warden.

Most important atm is to be a BG-er who can bg multiple targets while dishing out some dam for interrupting or backup heals when pos. TWF-ing, rezzing resists etc

But basically a wardens role is depend on the group you fight. They can be good fun esppecially at higher rr when you get more tools. (lower rr warden can be tedious). But you have to have the mindset to play a warden (or basically any support)
finland:
holland:

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

When i was playing and i had a bard as an alt the problem i faced that most people wanted to know the bard they were playing with as the bard has a key role in rvr. When i was in a fixed group and the bard couldn't show up we rarely searched for another and mostly called it a night as we didn't feel comfortable with anyone else, at least if we didn't know him well enough (and whenever we tried our fears were mostly confirmed). You must be very perceptive and trigger happy as a bard, it's a very demanding class and your group depends a lot on you.

Warden is far more relaxed imo, but not as necessary. Few people notice the warden and his contribution in the battle, so you can also get away with more stuff, whereas if you miss the first mezz everyone will notice (and if in a bad group blame you as well).
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Jupiler
Emerald Rider

Post by Jupiler »

Jupi wrote:playing warden is a thankless job and imho needs a person with a certain amount of patience, yer never gonna do huge damage nor yer never gonna do huge healing and zero cc... sorta jack of all trades but master of none so its more about having the right abilities and knowing when to use them properly in a group thats works and not just an afk bg/grapple bot as some might think
think that's what most people want me to do :/ that or bg 5 different people at once, without them knowing it takes about 2secs to kick in... Think it depends on the grp whatever you want the warden to do..either shear/EF for tanktrain/powerleak/... also depends on the template you are using

biggest prob i see atm is people thinking you are only good for BG..

asterixxx wrote:well to be honest im a ml2 warden, attending every raid that is happening because i want to get to ml8.
imho you DEFINETELY(sp?) want to get ml10, the random buffshear is seriously underrated.
&quot wrote:After playing zupiler and repeatedly getting beat by him (bastard)

Asterixxx
Emerald Rider

Post by Asterixxx »

Jupiler wrote: imho you DEFINETELY(sp?) want to get ml10, the random buffshear is seriously underrated.
Yes ofcourse i want to get to ml10, and speeding up the progress by running the raids myself. BUT until i get to ml8 im APPARENTLY of no use to any groups, so im left in druim ligen spamming LFG.
asterix2:
"How do you pick up the threads of an old life, how do you go on, when in your heart you know, There is no going back. There are some things that time cannot mend, some hurts that go too deep..."
Frodo Baggins, LOTR
"All my life i have lived by a code. Honour the Gods, Love your Woman, and Defend your Country!"
Prince Hector, Troy
Gandelf wrote:Dark Age of Crashalot

Jupiler
Emerald Rider

Post by Jupiler »

asterixxx wrote:Yes ofcourse i want to get to ml10, and speeding up the progress by running the raids myself. BUT until i get to ml8 im APPARENTLY of no use to any groups, so im left in druim ligen spamming LFG.
powerleak/grapple/EF not bad tools either , i'd just try to play in some small grps with friends until you have BG :)
&quot wrote:After playing zupiler and repeatedly getting beat by him (bastard)

Overdue

Post by Overdue »

Seanpaul wrote:/poke i'm normally a PM away.
We need BARD's not people running around with lutes
Devera the 10th Season Thunderer Blademaster
Gori the 8th Season Silver Hand Bard
Deify the 9th Season Flammen Vakten Spiritmaster

Retired

Maeloch

Post by Maeloch »

Well not like grps don't need both. If you thinking about a bard, remember ur expected to drive and lead the grp for the night, with all the hassle and decision making...not everone has the stomach for that. On the plus side you can always make an easy skrimish grp with a damage dealer or two as a bard, so no reason to be stood about ligen lfg.
Mael, 50th ment.

Dorin
Emerald Rider

Post by Dorin »

warden if you can be arsed to babysit a caster most of the in a grp. Grapple and bg will be the mostly used tool of yours with the odd heal + rezz + buffing stuff.... very rarely you happen to spam some battlemaster styles :p
And as other ppl said, warden without ml8 isnt really welcome in any grp :-(
Enchanter, Cabalist, Spiritmaster

Jupi
Emerald Rider

Post by Jupi »

OohhoO wrote:Warden is slower & more thought-out. Bards can be a fast fight-winner. A well-played Wardens contribution is more subtle.
who ya calling slow :p, try swicthing bg between 3 ppl in a close fight and then try drop twf and grapple the offensive tank, interrupt the caster/healer, whilst 1st mez might win fights against low most rr groups against tougher oposition its about who can interrupt support/casters the most that usually wins i.e those chain diease/ns spammers
Quinlan wrote:PBT currently is a very minor part of the usefullness of a warden.

Most important atm is to be a BG-er who can bg multiple targets while dishing out some dam for interrupting or backup heals when pos. TWF-ing, rezzing resists etc

But basically a wardens role is depend on the group you fight. They can be good fun esppecially at higher rr when you get more tools. (lower rr warden can be tedious). But you have to have the mindset to play a warden (or basically any support)
yup, what he said
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. Talent will not: nothing more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistance and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.......

El Grapplo RR10+ ML10 Warden :sheepskip
Silken RR3 Chanter :banghead:
Toothless

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”