Prydwen-down (discussion thread NO FLAMES)

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Poh
Emerald Rider

Post by Poh »

stopped playing US/merlin half year ago and were semi away from the game till may when i began playing EU/pryd. pretty hard to get used to the size of pryd compared to merlin. I think EU and US-servers er equal.

EU got better timezone overall and prob also easier to find someone you know.
US got the new updates better service and for english players the ability to play all 3realms.

I myself got tired of the hell getting arties and mls.
Pryd: Pohez 50Eld, Pohuz 50Vamp, Pohbot 50Druid
Glastonbury: Pohan 36Arms, Pohax 50Necro

Retired: US: Merlin/Alb, Lance/Hib, MLF/Mid

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Can't say I belive that people is any stupider on US servers then on EU ;D most people I have met when playing have been cool imo, but there is always exceptions ofcourse and that is probably the same on both US and EU ;D

I like it alot on HIB/PRYD, still it has everything to do with where my IRL mates play if they all would change server or realm I would, and if they would stop playing I would do so to, I think that in a game like Daoc, and probably most MMORPG's or any MMO games you have much more fun if having many IRL mates playing ;D I know I wouldent have any joy atall playing a game like this if no IRL mates played it ;D

Err getting off subject "Stupid"...yeah we are probably Equally stupid ;P but I have often heard that Americans is so stupid, but I guess thats probably just because it's so big, so there is more people around to be stupid ;P or people judge by seeing TV-shows and so from there, and if you should judge people by the programs I say that they would be rather nuts ;P
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Xest wrote:Yes but you've come up with no valid argument as to why they're better, the points you stated are common misconceptions and in reality are just outright untrue.

More importantly if you played the US servers up until a year ago, the populations were even bigger again then compared to the English euro servers, so I'm not sure how you can possibly claim there was less players around, it just proves more that you don't actually know wtf you're on about :p
Actually I think you're the one who doesn't "know WTF you're on about :p". On my main server I was often the ONLY L50 on in Hib. If we managed to get 1/2 a FG of L40-50 during european daytime it was like Christmas & birthday together. Euro-daytime server population was almost always below 150 (all 3 realms), you could do /who all on Hib during Euro daytime & get 15-25 players. In fact, most of the servers were like that. Only 3-4 servers had halfway decent euro-daytime populations, & that's where all the d00ds were.
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Poh
Emerald Rider

Post by Poh »

pretty low pop server you were playing on then. Normally there were 130+ 50's when i were playing merlin.
Pryd: Pohez 50Eld, Pohuz 50Vamp, Pohbot 50Druid
Glastonbury: Pohan 36Arms, Pohax 50Necro

Retired: US: Merlin/Alb, Lance/Hib, MLF/Mid

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

GOA's servers obviously aren't running on Windows XP, because the Mythic techies are flying over to help.

If it was Windows XP they could use "Remote Assistance".

;)

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

[quote="Gandelf"]GOA's servers obviously aren't running on Windows XP, because the Mythic techies are flying over to help.

]

Jas told me he had heard something about them running the servers on customized versions of Linux.

/Ankh

Minkyra
Emerald Rider

Post by Minkyra »

Have enjoyed reading all this and thought i throw in my tuppence worth

1) Seems no one has any ideas as to what database(s) they're running

2) Any one have any ideas about the back up routine run on a 24/7 server and what they might be using. ?incremental/mirroring/snapshot

3) One would have thought that any such set ups would have tools that monitored fro common problems

4) 24/7 is ridiculuosly expensive to maintain and given the overall downtime in the years this has been up, a difficult cost/beneift arguement to win

5) I bet CS dont work 24/7 and any release needs to be approved by someone who certainly does not work 24/7, although should be contactable

6) How much testing would you do before you brought it back, what would the consequences be if it fell over again...shortly afterward

7) Can you imagine what this would be like when the servers are clustered?

8) That having been said the servers for such a set up should be clustered with fail over, but then if the tools detecting problems are not great then the damage could be severe.

9) Wonder if there were hardware problems as well hat may have caused this and you go to the deals <much sucking of teeth> "well that part is only available from US etc, or how much control mythic effectively let them have given in essence they outsourced thier EU operations to a third party so to speak

10) The downtime of late has not been bad, look at the problems Blizzard had when starting WoW.

11) I wonder how big the DB is?

12) I wonder how many of the tech peeps is on holiday?

So whilst i understand that there may be a myriad of issues and problems that could potentially cause this catastophic (from thie pov) failure I am disappointed and frustrated as updates would have been nice becuase without them then the speculation only intensifies the problem.

I would be pleasantly suprised by the full debrief that I hope they will give, which should expalin the issues but i dont want to see any blame just what they have learnt and how they will put in place systems to minimise the occurance.

alduan
Emerald Rider

Post by alduan »

[quote="Gandelf"]GOA's servers obviously aren't running on Windows XP, because the Mythic techies are flying over to help.

]

this one made me laugh tbh =)
Audible 6l0 Bainshee omg wtf pwnd stripped by goa
Alduan 5l8 Eldy getting his gear updated

Radu
Emerald Rider

Post by Radu »

]

Well linux way easier manageable remotly as windows.

Big question when will be pryd live again though still.
Togusa the Mentalist

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

]

Windows XP ain't a Server OS Gandelf ;)
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”