Times - GMT/BST/CET

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Silverbirch wrote:Just imagine when we conquer the stars, hehe thats gonna be ace, imagine trying to organise ml10 with players light years apart :)
Yeah, and people in Alpha Centauri are still going to blame Goa for the 8+ year ping times :). No amount of ping plotter screenies showing that the lag is somewhere between

Alpha Centauri Emmigrant wrote: I just came out of deep-freeze after arriving at Alpha centauri B. I hear that the internet link was bad but this is ridiculois. Is anyone else having killer lag to the daoc servers ? There seems to be a problem somewhere between alpha proxima and pluto

Code: Select all

1     2 ms               2 ms               2 ms                 192.168.1.1
  2    28 ms               25 ms              26 ms                bas003.bmt.esat.net [193.95.142.244]
  3    31 ms               27 ms              28 ms                vlan103.rt002.bmt.esat.ant [193.95.142.1]
  3    60 ms               63 ms              67 ms                p13-7.opentransit.alpha-one.alc
  4    4,102,488,354 ms    4,102,488,391 ms   4,102,488,323 ms     p54-1.opentransit.alpha-proxima-2.alp
  5    137,274,932,433 ms  137,274,932,401 ms 137,274,932,409 ms   p13-3.opentransit.pluto.plt
  5    137,275,560,111 ms  137,275,560,321 ms 137,275,560,180 ms   po9-0.pascr1.Paris.opentransit.net[193.251.129.61]
  6    137,275,560,521 ms  137,275,560,304 ms 137,275,560,300 ms   193.252.122.14
  7    137,275,560,423 ms  137,275,560,361 ms 137,275,560,321 ms   [url]www.camelot-europe.com[/url] [193.252.123.35]
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Flippant Desires
Emerald Rider

Post by Flippant Desires »

Aerendur wrote:Quite simple.

English time + 1 = Central European Time (paris/madrid). Anytime. Whatever you call them.

Yup it's what i use.

Any Brit that says "BST = british summer time" is a muppet.
Virtually every westernised country observes summer time.

And any Brit insisting on using GMT, is a colonist. The modern (like last 20yrs +) international standard is UTC. They are the same thing.

So, CET ('european' time) = UTC+1 (muppets that's GMT+1)
CEST (euro summer time) = UTC+2 (muppets that's GMT+2 or BST+1)

Sorry, but I'm english and i find it friggin annoying when brits get to 'islander' mentality over time zones.

If it's really too challenging for you, then ditch all references to summer time, just say London or Paris time, it's not hard to add or substract 1 hr.
Trying out
RIFT, Guild Wars 2 & DAoC (again...)

WoW [retired]

Flippant, Margo, Szleynix, & Plumduff
PvP: Stormreaver {Alliance}, RP: Argent Dawn {Alliance}

DAoC [retired]
Flippant |Szleynix | Brass Monkey

spook
Emerald Rider

Post by spook »

Should use Zulu+/-X. X defining the amount of hours that you are behind/ahead GMT. Of course it'd require everyone to actually know what time it is GMT, so the problem would probably just have another side added :p
Merely Mortal
Waiting for WAR, both the virtual and the real

Formerly on Hib/Pryd as:
Damarmas, Cias, Bryce, Line

Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

As the world whirls around Greenwich as meridian and not around that bigger island called Europe continent we have to use UTC.

:P
"If you are not living on the edge, you occupy too much space!"

Silverbirch
Emerald Rider

Post by Silverbirch »

Lairiodd wrote:Yeah, and people in Alpha Centauri are still going to blame Goa for the 8+ year ping times :). No amount of ping plotter screenies showing that the lag is somewhere between
lol
Now playing...

Midgard Glastonbury

Jemima, 'I see dead people'
Blencathra, pacifier
Helvelyn, Hoooge Twoll

-----
US ACCOUNTS...... Chanter ebayed, Druid Ebayed, Ranger for sale.....

-----
ON ICE... Hibernia Prydwen

Silverbirch Suela - Ranger

Anelille oftheValley - Enchantress

Flyagaric - Animist and mushroom abuser

Boofont Hairstylist - Druid

GM OF THE SYLVAN BLADES

------

PRYDWEN... A LOCAL SERVER FOR LOCAL PEOPLE

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Flippant Desires wrote:Yup it's what i use.

And any Brit insisting on using GMT, is a colonist. The modern (like last 20yrs +) international standard is UTC. They are the same thing.

So, CET ('european' time) = UTC+1 (muppets that's GMT+1)
CEST (euro summer time) = UTC+2 (muppets that's GMT+2 or BST+1)

Sorry, but I'm english and i find it friggin annoying when brits get to 'islander' mentality over time zones.

If it's really too challenging for you, then ditch all references to summer time, just say London or Paris time, it's not hard to add or substract 1 hr.
its only hard cause the rest of the world insists on having a different time to the UK one.
One day they'll learn ;)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Flippant Desires wrote:

So what is the time zone in the UK called? The time in the UK is GMT or BST. UTC is the "baseline" time, just because GMT happens to be UTC+0 doesn't detract from the fact that we are still in GMT time zone in the Winter.

It has nothing to do with being a muppet or a colonialist, they are the labels given to the Time Zone we happen to occupy.

You didn't call Europeans muppets for using their label, CET instead of UTC + 1, so why should UK residents be any different when using their label?

Maybe we need to use less confusing labels, iirc WET and WEST are actually the same as GMT and BST so could probably be used instead, although maybe the Portuguese are muppets for using WET?

I do agree for this forum's purposes using "UK time" and "European time" suits just as well, if not better, than using the offical labels since we all know what they are and what the difference is, but that only works because we are only concerned with 2 main time zones.

Using Summertime has very little to do with being Westernised either, it has much more to do with distance from the Equator. Details are here if anyone is really interested :)

Aneline
Emerald Rider

Post by Aneline »

gmt, bst, it's all the same, for people going on cet it will always be +1 and the opposit for brits ;)
Mid/excal - Aneline, + more
Hib/Pryd - Aneline, + more
Alb/classic - Aneline, + more
:coffee2:

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Btw, if you post a raid to the calendar, it auto translates the timezone :)
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Lothandar
Emerald Rider

Post by Lothandar »

[quote="Banana"]its only hard cause the rest of the world insists on having a different time to the UK one.
One day they'll learn ]

That's the thing "UK one". I guess you're joking but many brits are quite "proud" of having their unique time zone <lollercoaster>

Lets have a HUN timezone too, because I'm hungarian so there.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”