Mythic Va SOE - round one + 2 - its a long article :P

General 'Hibernian' forum for the entire cluster
Alexandrinus
Emerald Rider

Post by Alexandrinus »

Xest wrote: Essentially, I do not beleive anyone who works a realistic week which is by far the majority of players can't realistically compete in DAoC anymore. .
a little bit late i enter this tread but ok my opinion,
i work between 50-60 hours a week, have two kids a wife, play daoc 2-3 nights a week.
Alex is now RR5 (its a good rank atm in prydwen) nearly fully ToA'd(missing still C Bracer) and some MP boots and some scrolls for an other arti, im ML8 (till Nov 2004)
Alex is realy competitive in RVR solo and in a group im doing quite well.
Yes thats my only lvl 50 char here(i have some others in lower levels), but i have a goal bringing one char as far as its fun,

the problem is some people think they have to get a RR5 char fully equipped in 3 week's-->if you will try this you will (only 24/7players not) fail

and btw i have another guildy wich works same ammount of time (if not more) and is RR6

Arkaon / Karak-Norn
and plenty of other chars between 10 and 30

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Xest wrote:You don't need MLs to compete on a lot of classes tbh, am doing fine with my minstrel at only ML2 sojourner, my theurgist is ML10 convoker but I could live without it and do very well no problem. Overall though there's plenty of chars that can do fine without MLs although for some it's essential (bodyguard on a friar for example), Mythic has now hit a point where their original goal has been acheived pretty well - that not everyone in a group needs MLs to compete.

That's what I was trying to say but I wasn't believed.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Briannon wrote:That's what I was trying to say but I wasn't believed.

tis because youre a luri.

no one believes the luri.

:)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

Ovi, I hate MLs. I actually don't believe it is possible for them to be challenging as such. Outside an unusual few, most people - whether attempting it with a zerg or a smaller group - follow a formula prescribed by someone else. It may take LONGER with less people, but if you're using a tried and tested tactic, or even one that isn't tested but uses game mechanics we all mastered years ago (like aggro management, guarding, hit code, or whatever) where exactly is the challenge?

I think the number of people who said "I like MLs" in this thread is disproportionate and misleading. I suppose a lot of the people who disliked them moved on to the point where they no longer read this forum or no longer feel a strong motivation to post their opinion.

I'd still rather leave a game than buy something to be competitive though.
Peat Bog, Animist <Iron Wolves>
Cryn Twyn, Bard <Iron Wolves>
Tape Gob, Eldritch <Iron Wolves>

Inventor of the Lagapult™
House 3303, Cior Barr. Come Visit.

Now playing ... WAR on Karak Eight Peaks
Irony, Runepriest <NFD>
Sable, Witch Hunter <NFD>

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Cryn wrote:
It may take LONGER with less people, but if you're using a tried and tested tactic, or even one that isn't tested but uses game mechanics we all mastered years ago (like aggro management, guarding, hit code, or whatever) where exactly is the challenge?
That counts out pretty much anything in any game from being a challenge :o

Even in WoW the same basic mechanics apply, Agro management, guarding taunting, healing etc...it still makes for a different challenge.

E.G. Taking a fg of random classes through ML7 dungeon for the group steps is challenging and fun, the challenge is applying the class mix you have to the basic mechanics well enough to "succeed" :)

/Edit: I should have made clear I do perfectly understand why so many don't like the MLs, I have a big advantage of being able to spend 4hours+ at a time more or less as often as I want to do the MLs. (Evenings and weekends anyway)

Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

I wasn't making any comparison to WoW, but since you have done, WoW is not a challenge. As you said, it's the same principle.

I'm not playing WoW for the challenge, I'm playing it because I can enjoy it today when I log on, rather than facing many hours of dullness before I can get to the enjoyable part of the game.

Not that I think WoW is "better" than DAoC. RvR in DAoC is still the most enjoyable thing I've done in any game, but state of play at the moment means you need a decent solo char and a bb, and the overhead of making those keeps me from playing.

Irony, Runepriest <NFD>

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

maybe it will help but next patch the mls can be done in one clump. Can get ml.10 credit before getting the group steps so barring ml 5 7 9 + 10 you can do them all in one go.
This will help people maybe?

And cryn, roll a vampiir :) they dont need bufs (heck you cant give them it) and seem to have no problems PvEing. Im not sure about RvR but since they have Climb walls and Safe fall - i spect they do well :)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

Yeah, I thought about making a Vamp, but you've still got all the time to play before you can RvR on it. I just can't face the boredom factor. And whatever order you do MLs, you still have to put in a lot of boring hours at the comp. Maybe I'll just come back on an limp along on my ani a bit more if I get bored enough with other games, but I actually can't ever seen DAoC becoming better for me - unless they make a server where everyone can have free MLs and equipment and it's just RvR you play.

Getting back to the buying/selling thing, I'd probably buy a BB for Peat, but it would stick in my throat pretty badly.

Irony, Runepriest <NFD>

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Wait until 1.5, it drastically drops the amount of time required for MLs, ML3 down from like 5hrs for a full raid (including farming assuming like 10fg or so) down to about 1.5hrs max.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”