Post by pikeh »

go mythic, its yo birthday apparently. :cowgif:
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Both have valid points.

Mythic don't want to venture into it, fair enough IMO. The US game is rampant with Plat/Items sold on EBay etc and that's not their focus. They make a game, and game is where they want it to stay

SOE know it's going on and want to sanction it officially. They also state that this will only be enabled on specific servers and players get to choose this when they roll their chars.

So it's all down to player choice as usual. A player can decide to buy EBay plat for DAoC, play an RP server for EQ2, or join one of these new Auction-Enables servers.

Just another server type, and one that stops people who do that kind of thing (i.e. Buying online stuff with Real-Life money) getting ripped off. if they want to do that, then who's to stop them? It goes on and will continue

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

I think Sony "won" the arguement. If they restrict it to specific *new* servers, then nobody playing on those servers can complain.

OTOH, one of the reasons I stopped playing EQ2 was the initial suspicion that Sony were into bleeding their players dry. You get the impression that they will slowly increase the effective monthly price by adding extras that you have to pay for, 20c here and there so you don't notice it. The fact that they are taking a cut indicates that this is another instance of this. You don't get that impression with Mythic, though I guess you could argue that the whole buff bot thing is similar in daoc :).
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Don't think buffbots were intended to be fair, I think it was just bad game design and now it's pretty hard to fix. Even if they make buffs ranged or timed it leads to imbalances as groups will have to be self buffing and Mid/Hib/Alb all have different amounts/qualities of buffs available in their usual group setups. However, building vampiirs and warlocks around the idea of being always buffed was a VERY bad idea as it only entrenches them further into the hole they've dug with buffbots.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Shi
Emerald Rider

Post by Shi »

pretty lame of SOE to hide behind this sentence imo
" Station Exchange will enable these honest players to use an auction service without concern that they will be scammed.".

I used ebay several times, for various stuff and (lucky me) never got scammed,so I dont' see in what SOE would help me here or others tbh.

On other hand I see 2 sides of that coin.
One is account selling, other is item/gold/ingamegoods selling.

I have absoulutely no moral issue with account trades, as it's more less like selling anyhting else, like selling the game itself, a dvd, book or sth.
While selling/buying ingame items/currency is pretty sad, even more when the dev itself signs up under it. /sigh

Furthermore, it's to the devs to make a game where targets are not insanely out of reach / far for players, so they don't get this idea to seek help on such sites (buying plats , gold , etc). Unfortunately most of games fail here - if it is not unreal to expect a game played completely fair , hehe :)

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

I don't understand how the economy and stuff would be balanced really, what if several people bought a huge amount of virtual money, wouldn't that actually kill the server? Even if i suspect it's going to be a very expensive service, but then problems like the ones Mythic suggest will arise, people won't take it kindly if they lose their $700 sword somehow.
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Argyleyn wrote:I don't understand how the economy and stuff would be balanced really, what if several people bought a huge amount of virtual money, wouldn't that actually kill the server? Even if i suspect it's going to be a very expensive service, but then problems like the ones Mythic suggest will arise, people won't take it kindly if they lose their $700 sword somehow.
I don't think you can buy money out of thin air. You have to buy it from another player.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

Oh, then it kinda makes more sense. I have mixed feelings about it, it might be game breaking to just get a rr10 ml10 char loaded with artis and have no idea how to play but then again there were a lot of times in toa i would have gladly paid a (reasonable) fee to get an artifact (like sok that we had to do ~15 times before it dropped or Bracelet of zo'arkat that took me forever to get) or level one (like Nailah's robe's, which are the only thing on my to-do list that i didn't actually get to level before quitting :()
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Merino
Emerald Rider

Post by Merino »

ShiShi wrote:I have absoulutely no moral issue with account trades, as it's more less like selling anyhting else, like selling the game itself, a dvd, book or sth.
While selling/buying ingame items/currency is pretty sad, even more when the dev itself signs up under it. /sigh
Exactly my thought. SOE is opening the Pandora's box. Blizzard already stated that they face professional firms from China which employ gamers to farm items they can sell against real money over Ebay. Unfortunately there are enough idiots out there who are willing to pay a few real bucks for a virtual item. We'll see how it turns out for SOE, I dare predict it will destroy the community on the servers.

Merino/Yeyi

Return to “Hibernian Cluster Discussion”