Oblivion?

General discussion of other games, especially upcoming MMORPG's.
Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Oblivion?

Post by Takitothemacs »

anyone tried it at all?
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

you mean elder scrolls yeh?

i have got it on my laptop, running it at highest res and the frame rate isnt so good but it looks pretty. so far only reached lvl 6 or so and the game play is very immersive. the animation is fantastic, but the faces kinda of suck. love the persuasion mini game :> For me the armour and weapons degrade too fast however.
but yeh defo worth a buy, i dont like the oblivion areas but the rest are fantastic.
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Played it but not for long, what I saw it seems kinda like Doom with a sword and with RPG elements added in. I'm still not convinced by first person RPGs, they just don't feel right :p

I'll no doubt play it again though when I get chance.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

I gave up after a short time due to the poor performance. My graphics card isn't up to it, even though it is only middle aged :(

Even running at 640x480 the lag on the cursor made it frustrating.

The game itself did seem really good though, for a single player game :)

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Oblivion rocks, just like the other Elder Scroll rpg's :)

/Ankh

Aran_Thule

Post by Aran_Thule »

the earlier ones were far to bugged to be enjoyable, first one i played was about 14 years ago and i gave up as constantly fell through the floor which made the game unplayable.
Aran Thule, Epic Sniper and Sojourner, Guild leader of the Artisans of Willow(roleplay guild)

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Ovi wrote:I gave up after a short time due to the poor performance. My graphics card isn't up to it, even though it is only middle aged :(

Even running at 640x480 the lag on the cursor made it frustrating.

The game itself did seem really good though, for a single player game :)
Hehe tell me about it, 4months ago I thought my machine was fantastic.

Then I tried to play FEAR

Then I tried to play Oblivion

Then I tried LotR BFME2

Then I tried Rainbow Six 4: Lockdown

The sad thing is, it's not even my hardware, it's just that for a while hardware advancements slowed down due to nothing utilizing them, programmers got lazy and couldn't be arsed to optimize the code and now we're suddenly swamped with games that need a Dual Core 64 4.8ghz processor and a £550 graphics card to run properly. I've had to turn down quite a lot of settings to get the above games to run at any playable level and even then it's not ideal, I completely gave up on FEAR, it's so horribly badly written that when you turn it down enough to be playable on a 3.2ghz machine with a 256mb 6th gen. modern GFX card it looks about as graphically impressive as Quake 1 does nowadays.

Cernos
Emerald Rider

Post by Cernos »

Been playing Oblivion a fair bit. It's a beautiful looking game (if you have the machine to handle it) and quite immersive with some good storylines. The combat, magic and stealth systems are fun but actually rather more simplistic than what's found in many MMORPGs, so that's kind of a disappointment.

I think I've played too many MMORPGs though to get much of a buzz out of a single player game anymore. At least until NPC AI gets a lot better. The AI in Oblivion is ok, but not great and the much trumpeted roaming NPCs that talk to each other is just a load of scripted exchanges which crop up with mind numbing repetitiveness.

Also the quests, whilst there's lots, are too linear. There's not much scope for doing things in different / creative ways, which is what a RPG should be about. I guess this is due to the limitations of using voice actors for all NPC encounters, but you do feel like you're being tramlined a lot of the time, which is never a good thing in a RPG.

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

hehe yeh i like this - a woman in some district in town goes up to a city guard and in a panicky voice says "its great to see you" a few seconds later she says ; "if you are looking for books, head to the First Edition!"

the faces do look crap and AI isnt anything special.
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Cernos wrote:Been playing Oblivion a fair bit. It's a beautiful looking game (if you have the machine to handle it) and quite immersive with some good storylines. The combat, magic and stealth systems are fun but actually rather more simplistic than what's found in many MMORPGs, so that's kind of a disappointment.

I think I've played too many MMORPGs though to get much of a buzz out of a single player game anymore. At least until NPC AI gets a lot better. The AI in Oblivion is ok, but not great and the much trumpeted roaming NPCs that talk to each other is just a load of scripted exchanges which crop up with mind numbing repetitiveness.

Also the quests, whilst there's lots, are too linear. There's not much scope for doing things in different / creative ways, which is what a RPG should be about. I guess this is due to the limitations of using voice actors for all NPC encounters, but you do feel like you're being tramlined a lot of the time, which is never a good thing in a RPG.
I think that's just RPGs vs. MMOGs. Maybe it's just me but I still love a good blastfest in a good FPS single player game or a good strategy game. I think when RPGs went multiplayer that was the end of single player RPGs pretty much, the RPG genre is just so suited to an MMOG game.

Return to “Other Games”