Starcraft II

General discussion of other games, especially upcoming MMORPG's.
Majty
Emerald Rider

Starcraft II

Post by Majty »

DAoC - Hib/Prydwen
Ibarnae Greenroot - Lvl 50 Champion
Areliwin Greenroot - Lvl 50 Nightshade
Mileanna Greenroot - Lvl 50 Animist
Madde Greenroot - Lvl 50 PvE-Bard
LenaPH - Lvl 50 Buffbot Druid

GuildMaster of Aurora Borealis

World of Warcraft - Bladefist (PvP)
Warrior, Priest, Paladin & Mage, Lvl 70 & 60

Starwars Galaxies - Chimaera
Kepeetee Wamigma - Former TKA Master

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Finally a game to look forward too :D

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

The first one was really boring and the next one will proberbly be the same. Imo they should try on a new game instead of sequels.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

IMO the first one was the best RTS to date, and I for one am quite happy for Blizzard to bring it up to date.

Given Blizzard's record with Diablo and Warcraft (Not world of ...) their sequels have always been well worth it, and I am looking forward just as much to Diablo 3 :)

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

The guys who worked for Blizzard and made diablo are now the ones making Hell Gate London - so I doubt you'll see a good sequel to Diablo.
I dislike blizzard as they have only 3 games they seem able to work with - Starcraft, Diablo and warcraft. It's a rich company so imo they should take a chance and try new games instead of making games they know people will buy just cos they like the first part.
I mean, there are small companies who dare to try new stuff and has great idea's but not big enough budget to develop their games - a rich company should dare to take the same chances.

/Ankh

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

They may only have 3 games, but they are 3 of the very best games. They have also done a lot more in terms of after-release support and development than any other company.

I don't see many companies with a service like Battle.net and even fewer where that service is included when you buy the game.

When Blizzard do something they do it right, if they had an idea for a new game that they could do properly I am sure that they would do it. They are hardly in the same league as EA when it comes to meaningless sequels with just a new year in the title.

There have been quite big changes between the sequels in Blizzard games, I mean WoW is hardly a simple sequel to Warcraft 3.

The original Starcraft was release in 1998, hardly a case of milking the name, if EA had the rights to it we would be playing Starcraft 2007 and expecting Starcraft 2008 just in time for Christmas.

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

Yeh Starcraft was the RTS of it's time imo, still a nice game also.

This however really looks like Starcraft 1 only new gfx? I mean same units and stuff
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Luz wrote:Yeh Starcraft was the RTS of it's time imo, still a nice game also.

This however really looks like Starcraft 1 only new gfx? I mean same units and stuff

Some new units and the old units get "new tricks", so not just a gfx update. To be honest though I would still buy it if it was only a gfx update, I still think the original is one of the best RTS today and with modern gfx would be the best still.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Yeah, Blizzard aren't going to change the recipe much. Starcraft was a major success, so they'll likely stick to that in terms of game rules for the most part.

Just look at the C&C/Red Alert series to see how the games, whilst still good, aren't as good as the originals due to the changes. I really am not keen on C&C3 as it's too close to C&C2, which in itself was too much of a move away from C&C1, it just got too futuristic, the charm of the original C&C was it was using modern day units with a bit of a futuristic but believable tint to it (i.e. Orcas). C&C2 and 3 might as well just be named FUTURISTIC RTS CLONE #3253212 or whatever. They also lost a lot of the really subtle stuff that was good about C&C1, for example the SAM sites dissapeared into the ground when they weren't about to fire, so what you could do was send in an orca to make the SAM pop up out of it's bunker then hit it hard with the ion cannon or some grenadiers and it would die like 100x faster than trying to kill it in it's bunkered form.

On the other hand however, about the only RTS that has survived changes to the rules and play style is the Warcraft series, Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 have introduced some pretty large changes at each step and they've all worked. Warcraft 3's storyline was also one of the best story lines I've ever seen in a game, backed up of course by some fantastic Blizzard style movie sequences. It's just a damn shame Blizzard couldn't carry their innovative skills in the RTS market over to the MMO market and prevent WoW from becoming, well, FANTASY MMO CLONE #574543.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

*b*
Emerald Rider

Post by *b* »

YAY about Time !
**Doac**
Bodica willowblade (Druid)
hellising alucard (nightshade)

**WoW**
Tankgirl (warrior)
willowblade (hunter)