the single-greatest RvR-based MMORPGs in the industry

General discussion of other games, especially upcoming MMORPG's.
Dardalion
Emerald Rider

Post by Dardalion »

[quote="Evulweebeastie"]Used to love WH40K when I was like 10, used to collect space marines :o grew outta it tho but looking forward to it, I want to be High Elf if they bring them out ]

Sad to say that the shelf above my pc monitor is currently home to approx 100 of my Warhammer figures along with a few siege weopons, my mrs gets a strop on at least once a week because they are a dust trap (apparently).

Im 37 years young :bab:
Fighting Enviro-crime irl 8-)

Silverbirch
Emerald Rider

the single-greatest RvR-based MMORPGs in the industry

Post by Silverbirch »

Big claim huh, but that's what mythic reckon they gonna do....

FAIRFAX, VA - MAY 18, 2005 - Mythic Entertainment, developer and publisher of massively-multiplayer online role-playing games including Dark Age of Camelot and the upcoming Imperator today announced that they have secured the exclusive worldwide, rights to create massively multiplayer online games for PC and console set in the fantasy world of Warhammer created by Nottingham, UK-based Games Workshop Group PLC. The first game based upon the dark, medieval world of Warhammer will be released on PC in 2007.

“I have always been a big fan of Games Workshop and Warhammer and I am thrilled that we are now able to work on one of the world’s greatest and most enduring fantasy gaming brands,” said Mark Jacobs, CEO and President of Mythic Entertainment, Inc. “Our goal for this first of what we hope will be many Warhammer-based games is to create the single-greatest RvR-based MMORPGs in the industry.”

“Warhammer fans around the world can be assured that our new partnership with Mythic, a company with fantastic credentials in delivering great online games, will result in a truly compelling online experience,” said Andy Jones, CEO of Games Workshop’s Entertainment and Media Division. “We are really looking forward to working closely with people who share our passion both for the world of Warhammer and for making games of the highest quality.”

Phoenix from the flames? Hope so....

EDIT - http://www.warhammeronline.com/ , link to the official site & press release
Now playing...

Midgard Glastonbury

Jemima, 'I see dead people'
Blencathra, pacifier
Helvelyn, Hoooge Twoll

-----
US ACCOUNTS...... Chanter ebayed, Druid Ebayed, Ranger for sale.....

-----
ON ICE... Hibernia Prydwen

Silverbirch Suela - Ranger

Anelille oftheValley - Enchantress

Flyagaric - Animist and mushroom abuser

Boofont Hairstylist - Druid

GM OF THE SYLVAN BLADES

------

PRYDWEN... A LOCAL SERVER FOR LOCAL PEOPLE

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

seems xest beat you to it :p

Requiel

Post by Requiel »

Many years ago I used to be a staff writer/games developer for GW before moving to White Dwarf. I hope the game does well, it'll be interesting to see how the world is interpreted in a MMO although GW are notorious for keeping an iron grip on their IP.

Can imagine logging in and being surrounded by Trollslayers called Gotreek, Gotrekk, Gottrek etc...

Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

I am thrilled to see that Warhammer Online gets a second chance but I am doubtful that Mythic has access to the code that Climax wrote.

Now for all the people who haven't followed the development of WO here a quick breakdown:
- no levels
- no obvious knowledge how good an enemy is - that means if it is big it will hurt you
- PvP limited by choosing certain careers
- big scale battles possible in later stages where players can take over roles as lower commanders
- the heart of the Empire is the starting ground - rest developed probably as expansion packs
- expect to play not an elf - elves are very very reclusive
- character development based on Warhammer Roleplay - you choose a career, develop in it, then move to the next career
- intelligent mob behaviour - as in if orcs come together they will start moving as a big mob - no single pulling with some adds - you pull and you can have a horde chasing you

I play Warhammer tabletop for many years - and must have over 1000+ miniatures of which around 20% are painted. Games Workshop has in the last recent years expanded its franchise with establishing a publishing company (black library) and releasing special campaigns in book and organised through the web.

Now if Mythic takes over this ruleset then I have hope for the game. Games Workshop pulled out of this enterprise last year simply for the reason that the development took very long and no ROI was in sight. As to my knowledge the code written by Climax wasn't given to Games Workshop so Mythic is starting from a clean sheet.

This is what leaves me in doubt about their success. WO was seen as a new set of rules which leaves the basic structure of the Warhammer World intact. I expect that Games Workshop is looking to preserve the gothic gritty feeling that has been re-established with the current books and releases. In that regard, yes, GW will be very much after that their IP is presented in the correct way.
Having said that GW is very confident that with the right producer the results will be in the correct way. Like with the recent WH40K game titles all that was done was to give the designers a very good background, access to all miniatures (will make developing the models very easily) and most of the artwork.

Disclaimer: Yes, I work for Games Workshop. All things written in this post are my own opinion and derived either from official publishings or talks with people involved in the last Warhammer Online project. Anything covered by non-disclosure agreements, ongoing negotiations or talks at work under confidential settings have and will not make it into any post that I make - so don't ask.
"If you are not living on the edge, you occupy too much space!"

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying is more fun than the tabletop imo :) Ive been playing the p&p rpg 18 years or so, so this one getting back in the business is really good news for me :)

Warhammer 2.0 had nice rules imo, but the combat system sucked...but thats something that might work better in a computer game I guess :D

/Ankh

Gitt

Post by Gitt »

Ankh Morpork wrote:Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying is more fun than the tabletop imo :) Ive been playing the p&p rpg 18 years or so, so this one getting back in the business is really good news for me :)

/Ankh
Same here (purchased the day of UK release in fact :p ) and providing WO is true to the original FRP setting and doesn't follow the mess that the FB setting degenerated into then it has real potential.

My only concern with Mythic taking on this project is the danger that the rich history and brooding atmosphere of the Warhammer world may not be reflected in the final game. Lets face it, DAoC, whilst being a superbly playable game, is somewhat bland and un-involving when it comes to history, atmosphere and quest content... but hey, they may get it right this time, after all the bulk of the design work has already been done by someone else over the last 25 years or so :p

At least we know that the system itself is being looked after by an experienced MMORPG designer, I had almost given up hope on it after the constant legal issues etc that have plagued its development.

Fingers crossed it will all work out this time ;)

<edit> wonder if they will stick with the traditional 12(14) stats or simplify things for the noobs?

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Heta wrote:I wanna be a Cybersex elf

what's holding you back?
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »