Vanguard

General discussion of other games, especially upcoming MMORPG's.
<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Yeah I thought you might mean that kind of bots tbh..but your right with me talking about the daoc kind of bots :)

/Ankh

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Bots have a place in every game, it gives teh teens who play games the license to say L A M E FTW!
:p
Mid Excalibur
Hib Pryd
Alb Stonehenge (I was there before teh cluster and gimps going from excal pryd cluster due to QQ - Noobs! :p )
Alb Camlann

.........far too many 50's to mention and no bb - hardcore gaming for a hardcore peep :)

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

* A vast and detailed world: Explore two large continents and an archipelago riddled with dungeons and adventures.
* Create and customize your character: In a world of thousands, carve your own unique destiny and appearance choosing one of 19 different races from Orcs and Goblins to Dwarves and Elves.
* 15 professions to choose from: Choose from one of 15 exciting professions including Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Psionicist, Bard, and Rogue.
* Dynamic reactive combat system: Build chains of special attacks and reactions with Openers, Bridges, and powerful Finishing moves
* Dozens of unique mounts: With dozens of unique mounts to collect, you can race into battle on your warhorse, command the skies on the back of your dragon or join friends and embark on a sea-based adventure to discover faraway lands.

/Ankh

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

The death system might be harsh but pretty cool, here is a quote from their forum about the death system:
global moderator wrote:The easiest way to explain it is they use system that is a mix of a WoW graveyard and a bind point like in DAoC mixed with some of their own unique ideas.

Basically when you die you go to Local Altar (Like a graveyard in WoW except u are alive) and depending on what type of Mob u are fighting Depends on what the death penalty will be. Vanguard uses a Dot system. (Along with showing you the NPC's lvl) The dots on a mob go from 1-5. A 1 Dot mob means that the Mob is weak for its lvl and if you die from it you lose very little Exp. 2 Dots on a mob means it is an Avg lvl Mob and if u die u lose more Exp than a 1 dot mob but still not that much. 3 Dots is a dungeon Mob they are a lot stronger than a normal Mob (think of it as an elite Mob in WoW) and if you die from that type of Mob u will spawn at an Altar and u lose quite a bit more Exp, also u have to either pay to summon your corpse to get some Exp and Gold back or go retrieve your corpse. 4 Dots is a Dungeon Boss, it is pretty much the same Idea as the 3 dot Mob except u may lose a few pieces of Armor that again u can pay at the altar to get back (this does cost quite a bit, but you will not see these kind of mobs in the beginner dungeons only once u get into the 20ish dungeons.) or go retrieve your corpse. And last but certainly not least the 5 dot Mob, this is a raid Boss like a Dragon, if you Die to this mob and release the only way to get your body back is to go retrieve it.

One other thing about the Vanguard system is if u die u can choose to either take the XP hit right away or do something called experience debt which means u will still take the XP hit but instead of losing that XP right away you can basically split the XP you are going to get in future with 50% of it going to the Debt that you have and the other 50% going to your normal XP.

Personally I think this system Rocks, it gives you that sense of fear of dieing as well as not making it too hard on you if you are just doing small group quests.

P.S. This is still beta so all of these Rules are subject to change.
to see the full thread (not very long) visit:
http://www.vanguardmmorpg.com/forum/ind ... ,13.0.html'

/Ankh

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

I tried to play as necromancer yesterday, I think you need to be in a group to get it to work as I could only damage the easy mobs for like 40% before they took me down.

/Ankh

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

wow that IS harsh..
will have to see what they mean by "alot"
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Thanks for the info Ankh. It certainly sounds interesting, but it still sounds a lot like EQ2. "It has more races and classes than WoW and less childish appearance." is pretty much how I would describe EQ2 :)

I think I might give Beta a quick try though as I am struggling to settle with anything else atm :o

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Maybe, but so far I like the beta. It's still abit buggy apparently but I know they will fix it sooner or laters so Im not bothered about that part. People who have complained about the lag should also be aware that its a stress test atm + they are planning on graphical "lag" - but thats also something they plan on fixing asap.

/Ankh

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

ok .. i saw the video's and i dont really like the looks of it, specially not when he's riding a camel .. but Anders what on earth is a 'Psionicist'
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Mallus
Emerald Rider

Post by Mallus »

"I tried to play as necromancer yesterday, I think you need to be in a group to get it to work as I could only damage the easy mobs for like 40% before they took me down."

I've seen Necros soloing without any probs, must be something your not doing :p

Bloodmages are good but keep getting nerfed for "balance", still fun to play tho.

I doubt Vanguard is different enough to draw all the kiddie players from WoW -(pause for cheers)- but I reckon it will appeal to players looking for more of a challenge.
All chars retired, much as I loved DAOC nothing is for ever - but the first 2 years were the best imho :D

Return to “Other Games”