Anti Virus

A home for those technical problems.
Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Anti Virus

Post by Bourkey »

After my computer playing up again, and games starting to get massive lag spikes, and then when i tried to install a second anti virus program apart from norton-my computer crashed totally. From what i can gather i caught a virus and in conclusion concur that Norton is pretty pants. So can anyone recomene dany good anti virus software, or anything along them lines? :)

Thanks in advance,

Bourke.
[19:25] Jupiler: in heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here...when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Try ezAntivirus or Panda if you don't like Norton. Also, there are several online virusscan/viruskiller sites.

/Ankh

Mongo
Emerald Rider

Post by Mongo »

AVG Antivirus is one of the best and its free for home use !

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
Active Chars
Hibernia/Prydwen
Mongo - 50th Season Silverhand Ranger
Mingo - 50th Season Brehon Vampiir (Still NAKED! 2 months now!)
Inactive Chars
Lots

Lasaeonn

Post by Lasaeonn »

You could try F-Secure http://www.f-secure.com (I have used this for years with not a single complaint or virus) the latest software has all the tools for Internet security in one pack.
Lasaeonn Blackstaff the Enchanter GM DarkBlade Mercenaries
Lasander the Bard with no style
Playing also on Gahreis (US Co-Op Server) and in DR Beta

Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Post by Bourkey »

Cheers guys, much appreciated will check em all out.
[19:25] Jupiler: in heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here...when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Bourkey wrote:Cheers guys, much appreciated will check em all out.
Don't get viri to begin with tbh :p
look, no hands!

Now retired

Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Post by Bourkey »

shhhhh, dont know how it snuck through :p

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Ive run norton av corporately for about 4 years now and have never had a problem.

ANY antivirus solution is only as good as the procedure you have inplace for updating your virus signatures, and the contingency you have to update those signatures when your main internet connection is unavailable.

Also when running 2 av programs on one machine you will almost always get some dead locking if you have heuristics enabled. While monitoring files for changes they write a checksum to the file headers which they then use to check if the file has since been altered - so one writes the checksum, other one detects it as having changed, then writes it own checksum, whereupon the first one detects a change and updates the checksum.... you get the picture.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Post by Bourkey »

I forgot about this guide my mate found after looking for some stuff to help him sort out his lag on battlefield 2.
Is pretty long but is a handy index to get what you are after :) i used it few months ago to see how to set my virtual memory. Well to get to the point has advice on different anti viruses an how they can slow down your computer etc. So anyone interested have a look, 166 pages but ive read about 3, just the stuff i need to know at the time ;). Although i probly will have a more indepth read.

http://www.tweakguides.com/XPTC.html

Return to “Tech Help”