Computer Problems

A home for those technical problems.
Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Computer Problems

Post by Bourkey »

Well i was on the forums and thought hey what the heck, someone might be able to help me. Well basicly my good computer (this not being it) is broke. It started off with some mates comming round and we networked up our comps to play some cs etc. As mine was the main network computer with internet attached also, they made me take ZA down (bastards) as it wouldnt connect otherwise. So basicly next morning, with me not relising it had been on all night woke up to find computer acting more funny then normal, with stuff like media player crashing regularly etc. The real problem came after i tried connecting to web, msn would crash every 5 mins, Firefox would have to be refreshed 1/3-4 times and games lagged like hell. After a quick virus scan i discovered one which was then quarentined but nothing fixed. I then decided on a total format and got rid of everything, started computer up, installed everything, internet worked fine. Got up next day; "damn it!" internet connects now, but nothing can get connection, explorer says no connection, msn says cant connect, yet the connection says its active and im sending and recieving bites. So here i am 3 full formats later on my old 56k computer. Anybody have any ideas on how to help me?

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

What hardware are you using for your internet connection?

In addition are you sure you have got a valid internet connection, try pinging an external address, I normally just ping http://www.demon.net which will check that you have a valid connection as well as having a valid DNS server ip for you connection.

Also did you reinstall any software firewalls, and are you on XP Service pack 2?
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

Have you also done the security patches that encompas the blaster and sasser viruses (cant recall which one screws your internet connection but I know its still in the wild and as soon as you connect to the net it will infect and cause problems.
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Post by Bourkey »

Im With pipex and am using a speedtouch 330 modem, problem about getting a pingchecker thing is i cant connect to any websites. And takittothemacs, i have done 3 total formats, first 2 before even installing the broadband put Zone alarm and norton on from a disc. Couldnt connect to any sites or update them still. 3rd format i didnt install either as i thought Firewall could be blocking connection but still it didnt work. And no i dont believe i have SP 2, but cant dl it either.

nibs
Emerald Rider

Post by nibs »

Ive had this myself and only immediatly after a reinstall. Only way i found around it was another reinstall, and i then ensured i had virus protector + firewall up and running as a first priority (and updated both as soon as connected to net).

(if you use nortons, you can download virus definitions and install them before you connect to the net)

Friend also had it and had to reinstall (after he spent over an hour on phone to bt tech support).

Sorry i cant be off much more use, but reinstall seems like the easy way out as it sounds like a virus that once on your pc can mask itself to 'hide' from antivirus'.

Tis very annoying though, so best of luck :)
Mid/Ava
Gwarp, 42, Savage, LGM AC
Grumblebum, 50, Spiritmaster, ML3
Nibkyrie, 48, Valk, 9xx Alch
Nibmedic, 50, Healer, ML9
Stumblebum, 50, Warrior, ML10

Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Post by Bourkey »

Tried that twice already mate :/. Thanks anyway, will probly try it again at weekend if still no avail.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Just try pinging from a command line.

Anyway, im pretty sure that wont work. I would go down to the dreaded PC world and get an ADSL router, then configure it, then reinstall you PC. I think Takits is right that your suffering from a virus atttack. The router should ensure by default all incoming ports are blocked, and dependant on the model should have a rudimentary statefull packet inspection firewall as well to prevent some of the more commong hacks.

Also will means you can easily get more than one PC on the network with little or no additional configuration for when your mates come around, for online play with consoles or if you buy a new pc.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Post by Bourkey »

Thanks for all your suggestions guys but i found out the problem, the payment hadnt gone through rofl :P it has been suspended for 2 weeks, they rang up today. But you would have thought they would have rang earlier. Oh well its all good now, thanks anyway :)

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Doh!

Return to “Tech Help”