re-nameing a hard drive

A home for those technical problems.
Dardalion
Emerald Rider

re-nameing a hard drive

Post by Dardalion »

more problems for me :I

I have installed a new hard drive which is now called Local Disc (G:) .. now when i down load stuff it looks for my C: Drive, which is now assigned to a removeable disk, sometimes i can change the location to the G drive but with some programmes it wont let me (eg New Frontiers).

So my question is, how can i rename my new HD to be a C: drive, i have googled the question but i cant find a definitive (read understandable by an idiot) answer.

Thanks
Dard.
Fighting Enviro-crime irl 8-)

Etharion
Emerald Rider

Post by Etharion »

You can change drive letters in the disk management part of the computer manager.

Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management and there's a subpart Disk Management.

Keep in mind that stuff that is already installed on the disk, that you're changing drive letter off, might not work properly anymore, if there are references in some files or the registry which point to the old drive letter.

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Imo when ever you do anything with your HD's you should use Partition Magic...makes life so much easier :)

/Ankh

Bebop
Emerald Rider

Post by Bebop »

aye best bet use PMagic or summit, as Eth said if u jus swap drive letters in windoze your gunna be left with shortcuts all over the show that's looking for data you previoulsy had on C: :(
Prydwen RETIRED..Might be comming back!
Hib
Bebop
Boppa
Bopper
Bops
Furse
Mid
Bebop
Latona
Bopps
Boppa

US
Bpm - RM
Eternul - BD
Tequila - Healer

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Dardalion wrote:more problems for me :I

I have installed a new hard drive which is now called Local Disc (G:) .. now when i down load stuff it looks for my C: Drive, which is now assigned to a removeable disk, sometimes i can change the location to the G drive but with some programmes it wont let me (eg New Frontiers).

So my question is, how can i rename my new HD to be a C: drive, i have googled the question but i cant find a definitive (read understandable by an idiot) answer.

Thanks
Dard.
My advice is don't reassign anything to c: If you want your new drive it to be your c: drive then do it properly by setting that drive to ide0 and installing your OS onto it.(unless you didnt install your os onto c:) basically don't mess with the drive you installed your OS onto unless your well clued up.
look, no hands!

Now retired

Return to “Tech Help”