GFX Errors in some games, clues?

A home for those technical problems.
Luz
Emerald Rider

GFX Errors in some games, clues?

Post by Luz »

Hello.

Just wondering if anyone got clues to what kind of problems I am having...

See screenshot from Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (on of the games that dont wanna work). It happens more often in some games, some run fine and just seem to happen like this once 1/10th time etc....

Theese annoying dots show up and game freezes for maybe 5 sec, then runs 2 sec.. freezes with dots again... over and over
Attachments
gfxerror.JPG
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

I've never ever seen that kind of bug before...so it's not just Rollercoaster Tycoon you get them in??

/Ankh

Gattling
Emerald Rider

Post by Gattling »

My guess is your videocard overheating to boilingpoint heh, take off the sidepanel and, if you have one, use a tablefan to cool your comp, see if it helps. If it does help, try to remedy the heating problem properly :)
Gattling - ML10 RR3 ranger <-- easy RPS :ranger:
Phenomenal - 50 ML5 RR2 Druid
Soraellion - 50 Mentalist
Skilless - 3~ Bard

<Tuatha dé Danann>

various Thid toons
various Alb/Excal toons

Luz
Emerald Rider

Post by Luz »

I was thinking the same, heat could be the problem.

But.. I can run other games, more GFX demanding ones properly most often.

RCT3 bugs up every time... WoW and DAoC never bugged at all sofar
FarCry bugs up 1/2 of the times...

really weird this :s

And Nvidia panel shows GPU temp at around "60C" and surounding at about "40C" all the time... so temp dont seem likely..
Bah. Lv50s.
Animist, Bard, Druid, Enchanter, Nightshade, Vampiir

Geralt
Emerald Rider

Post by Geralt »

Nuke out detonator drivers, then install them again (or try omega ones).
Then reinstall DirectX.
If you have Fast Write enabled, disable it.

After that, i would try some overclocking utilities and check speeds, maybe try to lower GPU and Gfx memory speed. Also some utils have artifact checkers, try to run it for at least half hour and see, if they get something.

Problem is - it can be HW problem in some part of chip, that ain't usualy used in fully 3D games. Try some isometric 2d games like Sacred or Starcraft, then other 3D RTS like Earth 2150, Warhammer.

Also - check that you are not forcing some gfx features - i saw Vsync or refresh lock doing weird stuff sometimes.

good hunting for that bug.

Etharion
Emerald Rider

Post by Etharion »

(White) Dots are usually a sign of a memory problem on the card, might be overheating or damaged. Your screenshot shows some black ones aswell though, so not 100% sure if it's memory related, but might be worth looking into.

Try running with an open case or so if you've it closed usually so it gets some more fresh air. It's normal btw that you (almost) burn your fingers on the memory chips, so be carefull if you try to find out for yourself :p

Return to “Tech Help”