Pikey.... Pikeh

this is scary :)
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Sophos used to detect more viruses... that was the rumour, whether it was true or not I have absolutely no idea, but I certainly fail to beleive it was ever liked for it's interface, options and tools - none of them are very good and I fail to beleive it detects more nowadays - not with the experiences I've had with it that's for sure. It's only redeeming feature is it's one of the few AV programs that still supports Win95, if you can even call that a redeeming feature.

No AV is really as good as it should be, a good firewall and good knowledge of what should and shouldn't be running as processes on your PC are your best bet for avoiding viruses and spyware as well as being able to tell the obvious telltale signs. AV firms are far too reactive and none whatsoever are proactive enough - I don't know of a single peice of AV software out there that could possible detect a learning worm/virus that uses self modifying code to adapt itself to avoid/disable anti-virus programs and new anti-virus definitions, luckily no worm has been written to exploit that level of intelligent code yet, most viruses right now are pretty dumb. I can only guess it's because so far, anyone intelligent enough to work with things like neural networks isn't stupid enough to write a virus and release it into the wild but I can only imagine it'll happen eventually and that's when the real test will be as it'll be a question of who can completely rewrite entire portions of their virus detection code fast enough, in the meantime, billions and billions of pounds will be lost by business who rely on the currently unprepared AV programs and don't have proper patching processes whilst those with decent firewalls and well patched machines to prevent any method of remote infection in the first place will be the ones laughing.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

And machines will rule the earth and judgment day will come MWHAHAH \o/

Anyway, give Microsoft Antispyware a chance, sofar its the only antiXYZ stuff I really like :)
Hep, treated MMORPG addict, on the way to master his uni
Morana, one of a few Rangers, that did not Zerg. Retired for good.

Pikey
Emerald Rider

Post by Pikey »

Pikeh......Pikey

Been Pikey since first day release many many many years ago....

But Played Excal until a year ago..... then Pyden....

But why the name pikeh? Any reason behind it ?

Mira
Miranada BM RR6 ML10
Eximist Ani RR3 L9 ML9
Slapss Raj RR4 L1 ML4

Meache Ward RR4 L1 ML6
Aneline Enc RR4 L1 ML10

Excal

Miranada Healer RR8
Essox Skald RR5 L5
Piketh Runie RR3 L8
Tus SM RR3 L0

pikeh
Emerald Rider

Post by pikeh »

played a few months after release, just after watching "snatch" ("i f*cking hate Pikeys") and its kind of ironic becuase i hate them as well, and they are known to be roguish so i thought it would be a good name :) I remember Piketh on mib/exc and i always got asked if i was him.
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Pikey
Emerald Rider

Post by Pikey »

Piketh was me ^^^^^

Hahah

Well I agree Pikeys are rogue's by far but my reason is I love Pike Fishing so kinda developed from there...

Pikey
Miranada BM RR6 ML10
Eximist Ani RR3 L9 ML9
Slapss Raj RR4 L1 ML4

Meache Ward RR4 L1 ML6
Aneline Enc RR4 L1 ML10

Excal

Miranada Healer RR8
Essox Skald RR5 L5
Piketh Runie RR3 L8
Tus SM RR3 L0

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Ovi wrote:That works fine on work machines, it's a real pita on home machines still though since most games and other home orientated programs still don't work properly without admin rights, I know they can be fixed, but I spend all day at working fixing PCs when I get home I just want to play :o
Hence the advice about using runas to execute programs in an admin account.
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Return to “Tech Help”