TBC first impressions

Home for our World of Warcraft players on prydwen.net
Shi
Emerald Rider

Post by Shi »

Argyleyn wrote:On the other hand, they have shown that when it comes to game design they will do the game how they want it. They displeased a huge amount of people by cutting raids to 25 mans, they knew that for several people who got kicked from their old guilds there was the chance they would quit, yet they went on with it, because that's how they want the game.
hehe,
don't tell me you trully believe what you just said?
Who they displeased is a lil tinny percentage of their customer base called 'hardcore raiders' who think the game was designed around them and for them. As the end game content aka Naxx, AQ 40, BWL was only accessible to those, while most of players would never ever step into those places, let alone kill a boss there...
So here actually for once they listened to player base or just realised how many ppl were driven away from the game due to the fact of being put aside by hardcore contraints of the end game.
Lowering requirements to 25 man doesnt trivialise the content, but makes it more widely accessible. By far easier to gather 25 ppl together than 40, kinda obvious.
Luri 4 ever
Shin, Runepriest,<Ravens Bane> K8Peaks EU

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

It's not only the 25 man thing, but a series of changes, like class nerfs, shamans and paladins introduced to the other side, they just do what they want with it and don't really care. It's not that they don't care about the money, but with 8 million people playing it, there's hardly a chance their playerbase will suffer from anything they do, so they have more creative freedom than the average mmo producer.

And the small percentage of the playerbase is not as small as you make it seem, when I was playing in Argent dawn there were like 50 raid guilds/communities made of ~60 people each and pretty much 80% of the server had tier1 or so, so it's not a small change.

And they have also made the game a lot more difficult, which is bound to disappoint the most mentally challenged people who could stroll through stratholme and get their tier0's without any effort. That's quite a big part of their playerbase too. I just can't see pugs doing pandemonius, or blackheart or most of the difficult 5 man bosses, which is a hit to the casual player as well who doesn't really have the connections to have a 5 man guild group going around the clock and has to rely on pugs with people of variable skill. I have heard of people taking 15 tries to kill the final ramparts boss and if that's actually true, I hope they have lots of patience for what's coming ahead.
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

lol? 15 tries to kill first rampart boss?

they must be doing something seriously wrong
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Argyleyn wrote:
And the small percentage of the playerbase is not as small as you make it seem, when I was playing in Argent dawn there were like 50 raid guilds/communities made of ~60 people each and pretty much 80% of the server had tier1 or so, so it's not a small change.
I think you overestimate the percentage. The number of people doing high-end raids, that's AQ40 & Naxx when TBC was released, is in the low hundreds of thousands. Last time I saw a calculation on how many it was under 200,000, which is only 2.5% out of the 8 millions playing. I am sure that a substantial amount of those really couldn't really care whether the raids are 25 or 40 man, they just do them because they are the end-game content.

Most of the people with MC experience but not much higher are the people who will benefit from the lower raid numbers. Whilst the top-end content, even some of the 5-man instances, will still take ability the very fact they need fewer people opens up that content to much more of the population.

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

and MC wasn't a raid instance, it was just boring and painfull
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Heta wrote:and MC wasn't a raid instance, it was just boring and painfull
I liked MC :(

Shi
Emerald Rider

Post by Shi »

Heta wrote:lol? 15 tries to kill first rampart boss?

they must be doing something seriously wrong
final boss :)
indeed it's pretty tricky for a pug.
But there is also a trick to make it mucho easier, just gotta think bout it or know it
Luri 4 ever
Shin, Runepriest,<Ravens Bane> K8Peaks EU

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

aww, final.. anywho.. lol? 15 tries?

its not even close to beeing hard. If you can do a baron run you can do ramparts

whats the trick to make it alot easier?
All I do is to not stand in the fire which kills you if you do
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

Ovi wrote:I liked MC :(
problem with MC was that it offerd no challenge for a 40 man raid, think our speed record was 2 h through it

BWL was way more fun
AQ40 sucked ass
Naxx was soso, problem there I was so tierd of my druid that I just didn't want to play at all but as there were no druids around they always nagged me untill I came along
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

which final rampart boss?
the dragon rider?
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Return to “World of Warcraft”