WoW is bloody ace!

Home for our World of Warcraft players on prydwen.net
Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Sharkith wrote:this is the first point I have heard that makes it worth looking at maybe when I am around at a mates house or something. I hate the notion of excluded classes which comes with the idea of forced and perfect groups etc.

A druid and a hunter are just as lethal as a warrior and a mage or any other combination. Druids can solo yellow con mobs a couple of levels higher than themselves without even breaking sweat - turn into a bear and you're into the realm of taking out pairs or more of mobs at the same time.
Briannon
------------
Badvicar EvilIdiot: level 3x heretic - Anywhere/Gaheris
Bardsimpson Botoxxbuddy: level 50 bard - Hibernia/Gawaine
Botoxx Injections: level 50 animist - Hibernia/Gawaine
Bowlina Botoxxbuddy: tiny ranger - Hibernia/Gawaine
Briannon Silverblades: level 50 nightshade - Hibernia/Prydwen (retired)
Draccula TheCount: level 46 vampiir - Hibernia/Gawaine
Playmate Ofthemonth: level 50 enchantress - Hibernia/Prydwen (retired)

Briannon
Emerald Rider

Post by Briannon »

Cernos wrote:
I'm not going to say "never" on playing DAOC again as Wow and DAOC are different games with different attractions. But for now I'm having too much fun in WoW to be interested in re-opening my DAOC accounts.

I think this is a very good point. At the moment I find myself playing DAoC for very particular goals i.e. get a mate to level 50, do a ML raid, level an arti, find an arti. DAoC has probably done its time for me as the game of random dipping in and out of. If I have a short period for playing then WoW gets booted up, or if I want to progress a story line, WoW gets loaded up.

I've noticed by gaming changing with the advent of WoW and WoW and DAoC now sit alongside each other in my list of favourite pastimes, but for different reasons and different goals.

Gyneth
Emerald Rider

Post by Gyneth »

I played WoW in beta and for about a month, before stopping for university reasons. The game is very good. I havent played daoc for more than a year but it just stopped being fun for me. WoW is something new and different. Its not perfect though by a country mile.

I have a lvl 40 Dorf hunter on stormscale. I love the class. I love my pets and my wide range of abilities. I dont love the fact that 95% of the time so far I have spent solo or with "10 minute" groups, where you team purely to kill a few mobs for a quest with whoever is in the area.

To be completely honest I think they went a little too far with the Quests. They need to be a bit fewer and maybe made a little more interesting. I miss the odd session of xp grind. Its relaxing, you stay put in one area for 2-3 hrs
and just kill mobs. Sadly it just isnt possible at the minute. As a hunter I get far far better exp soloing than I would if I teamed up with 4 others and xp-grinded an area (ofc I can't verify this totally as its never happened).

Instances are good but then again Ive only done them with guild, it can be too much hassle to do them with others.

Dont get me wrong though, some of the quests are superb. The entire Defias series, and some of the storylines in duskwood I really liked. Crafting is great but a word of advice, dont take up leatherworking as a hunter its really not worth it. Skinning/Mining/Herbalism two of the three. Maybe engineering/mining if you fancy the toys and nice bullets.

Anyway Rami when i reopen my WoW account this summer you must come play with us. You cant play daoc all your life!

/Gyneth

Rami

Post by Rami »

Gyneth wrote:Anyway Rami when i reopen my WoW account this summer you must come play with us. You cant play daoc all your life!
Can and will!

Might pop in just because it's you <3
shotz:

Bourkey
Emerald Rider

Post by Bourkey »

Rami wrote:Can and will!
well said imo :) at least daoc dont stop you from playing after your free month even though you have to pay for at least an extra month to get that free month. Oh well i payed for 6 and i after free month cant play now. ive still got daoc though wooo ;)

Flippant Desires
Emerald Rider

Post by Flippant Desires »

Gyneth wrote:...I dont love the fact that 95% of the time so far I have spent solo or with "10 minute" groups, where you team purely to kill a few mobs for a quest with whoever is in the area.

I think this is where some of us took the easy route :)
I joined a guild with ppl I alrdy knew, so I've spent most of my time grouping with ppl who are (by now) experienced at grouping. Yeah sounds silly....but I think those who have played mmorpg a lot do know how to group...and also how to loot mobs.
Gyneth wrote:To be completely honest I think they went a little too far with the Quests. They need to be a bit fewer and maybe made a little more interesting. I miss the odd session of xp grind. Its relaxing, you stay put in one area for 2-3 hrs and just kill mobs. Sadly it just isnt possible at the minute. As a hunter I get far far better exp soloing than I would if I teamed up with 4 others and xp-grinded an area (ofc I can't verify this totally as its never happened)..

Solo XP'ing can be ok, but yeah group-wise it's a no-no :D
I prefer questing to straight forward grind. But there are a few conditions on that, like not having to do the same quest in 3 zones - i.e. it;'s the same but with new npc name or mob type to kill.

My main character is 48 atm with 13 days play time, I certainly don't feel any grind. If anything, it's too fast.

DAoC players prolly miss the chit-chat i think that you get when grinding xp. That's why i think it's important to have a nice guild. I add ppl to my friends list a lot more carefully in WoW, much easier to add kiddies to ignore list.

.. As for crafting hehe
Got to go herb/alchemy i think, it makes money and you end-up BB'ing yourself :D

I've got several crafters, but if I cud do it all again, I'd go herb/alc. Logically, the hunter shud go mining/engineering, to make bullets - but that's only coz guns are a bit better than bows atm. Hunters are gimped anyway hehehe, the class is about 50% finished imo. e.g. no such thing as fletching.
Trying out
RIFT, Guild Wars 2 & DAoC (again...)

WoW [retired]

Flippant, Margo, Szleynix, & Plumduff
PvP: Stormreaver {Alliance}, RP: Argent Dawn {Alliance}

DAoC [retired]
Flippant |Szleynix | Brass Monkey

Tio
Emerald Rider

Post by Tio »

Funnily enough i do miss the grinding a bit let me "try" to explain.

Its not the grinding itself i miss but as said before most people only group till the have done a quest they need,as most players dont carry on to do the same next quest its all done in different orders.

So you yell or whatever 2 spots for "X" and 2 players will join you and you will kill X and that is it,some like to claim the reward there and then others go of to kill somethign else nearby and so on.

The downside is its a lot harder to get chatting to other players,and getting to know other players,which i admit isnt the be all and end all but its a viable part of this sort of game.

The other very strange thing is that if player A lev 41 teams with player B lev 38 and they kill mobs together the higher level player takes the lions share of the XP (quest XP is the same) this means its very hard to get any sort of regular group together or regroup with friends as very quickly a one of the players pulls away.
example: Wifey and i play together,all the time,now when we were level 10 or something i got 1 Warrior specific quest that she couldnt do,so i leveled ahead of her,now when i got to level 11 she was still 10 so i got a bigger share of the XP than she did till she hit 11,Now at 31 i was half a level ahead of her just down to one quest and the resulting XP gain each time i leveled first(i havent done the 20 and 30 warrior quests because of this).I leveled up my Alt more and had to spend an evenign Xping with her to catch her up to me. Givf Turn of XP imo :)

Cryn
Emerald Rider

Post by Cryn »

Had a conversation with my brother yesterday. He didn't like WoW and is back in DAoC, whereas I like WoW and have no plans to try Catacombs. After a lot of talking we kinda hit on one big difference between the 2 games.

In DAoC you grind on a promise. PvE is not much fun, and you rely on groups to relieve the boredom. Most grinding is just done with the aim that when you are 50, ML10 and fully kitted out, RvR will be fun. But some people grind with that in mind and never actually get into the rvr.

WoW is the opposite. There is no great thrill, but the PvE is a lot more enjoyable than DAoC. I play because I enjoy it, despite the fact there is nothing great to work towards. I'm actually quite dreading hitting 60.

I just can't go back to grinding on a promise. I got some mileage out of Peat before the RvR rug was pulled out from under me. Now to enjoy RvR I'd have to have a GG (not gonna happen) or roll a solo-focused alt. No way I'm climbing that ToA hill again just in the hopes that my char is still one of the fun ones by the time he's ready for RvR.
Peat Bog, Animist <Iron Wolves>
Cryn Twyn, Bard <Iron Wolves>
Tape Gob, Eldritch <Iron Wolves>

Inventor of the Lagapult™
House 3303, Cior Barr. Come Visit.

Now playing ... WAR on Karak Eight Peaks
Irony, Runepriest <NFD>
Sable, Witch Hunter <NFD>

levelnix
Emerald Rider

Post by levelnix »

don t sounds good peat think you miss rvr tbh
rvr in hib is great now
we doing well and i think i can say we rule rvr atm
the new classes are great and making a lot of fun
also you need no guild for rvr
last night i was in a mixed eclipse/nfd/ne group and we did great
so if you bored of pve come and log in was always nice to
group with you

cu levelnix
levelnix

Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

Tio wrote: the higher level player takes the lions share of the XP (quest XP is the same)
Quest Exp too? Sure, the mobs you kill will give propotionally more exp for the higher level char, but this doesn't affect quests. if anything, the higher level chars get less exp for handing in the same quest as a lower level one.

Return to “World of Warcraft”