WoW is bloody ace!

Home for our World of Warcraft players on prydwen.net
HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

We want details mate...
Hep, treated MMORPG addict, on the way to master his uni
Morana, one of a few Rangers, that did not Zerg. Retired for good.

Shi
Emerald Rider

Post by Shi »

HappyG wrote:We want details mate...
In short.
The so called 'honor'system turned servers into some frenzy slaughter mode.
They system wants you to rack up honor, rewards you for it, and then requires you to keep the 'score' up in order to keep using the rewards.
Thus all servers turned into some slaughter parties.
Ofc that is big scale PvP so something we would generally wish for, but the problem is:
- server lag is huge
- population balance become an issue for many servers as generally A outnumbers H
- all activities moved to outdoors, turning some easy accessible popular places into battlegroudns (hillsbrard, STV, tanaris)
- the lvl range for honor kills is 12 I think, therefore farming kills on lower lvls has become not an occasional thing but a standard, leading to]hehe[/url]

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

Ah that... A bit to early to judge whole system after 2 days, even the most hardcore PvE players zerg now, because its new and fresh.

Flippant Desires
Emerald Rider

Post by Flippant Desires »

ShiShi wrote:In short.
The so called 'honor'system turned servers into some frenzy slaughter mode

I'm expecting this on the Euro servers, have been since they announced the so-called honour system - as there is currently no 'dishonour' code. Even Blizz's official screenshot of an 'honourable' kill is a joke.

So, just like early days, the kiddies will be on the rampage. I think it will take a good 3weeks for things to calm a bit, but there's still a need for dishonour system (the excuse for not having one is lame to say the least).
Trying out
RIFT, Guild Wars 2 & DAoC (again...)

WoW [retired]

Flippant, Margo, Szleynix, & Plumduff
PvP: Stormreaver {Alliance}, RP: Argent Dawn {Alliance}

DAoC [retired]
Flippant |Szleynix | Brass Monkey

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

This has been discussed quite a few times. SWG had system where you couldnt kill non-PvP flagged opponents, resulting in players spying after you in PvP knowing you can't hurt em, throwing abuse in your face etc... Same would happen if low lvl knew you will loose points if you kill em. Not to mention every AE mage raiding opponents main city would prolly go home with -1 million honour points :P

Venoid
Emerald Rider

Post by Venoid »

On PvE servers you can still spy until you flag yourself for PvP :p. Altho its not a very hard thing to code to make people free kills if they start a fight. That codes been in games from 10 years back, I still remember Legend of mir, if you killed someone you risked turning Red which alienated you from towns and warned people your a PK...however if you were white and you attacked someone, you would turn brown which meant anyone could kill you and not risk going Red because you had started the fight.

The biggest problem with the Honor system tho...is the retarded implementation of time vs reward. Now most people know me by now...Im not one to whine about hard goals to acheive, hell I was one of the few that supported ToA consistently...however, the Honor system is just whacked up.

In DAOC...even tho RR10 is almost unacheivable for most...were you to spend 2-3 years concentrating on RvR with one character...even casually, and in fact many have acheived this over the past 2 years, you could feasably reach at least RR6+ if not RR8+...Im think Jamiesmallicus here as a prime example. With WoWs honor system this is simply impossible. As the system rewards weekly amounts of continual time invested, over accumulated time invested in large periods.

Also the limiting the amount of people that can ever be in the higher ranks...is just retarded. Its almost as if Blizzard really do only want 50-100 "Heroes" on every server, and they want those Heroes to be the ones that play the most...this was apparent in their horrible Bind on Pickup system, and is even more prevelant with this horrible honor System. They are actually totally 100% denying parts of the game to many subscribers simply because they dont take it as a way of life.

Many have complained about the "timesinks" to acheive in DAOC, but none can deny that with effort all those were acheivable eventually...Blizzard have implemented a terrible system, where indeed the population is split into 1st, 2nd and 3rd class citizens, purely based on the amount of time people continually invest every week...and for any game thats supposed to be fun and relaxating entertainment, that is a very very bad system.

Gitt

Post by Gitt »

Hmm, I think you are failing to look at the actual equipment available as BoP or PvP rewards.. it's not significantly better than the general equipment that's available to almost all players.. in fact a visit to the auction house with a bag of gold will secure you a perfectly serviceable set of gear without the need for endless farming.

The major draw to the rarer items is that they are less ugly than the mis-matched lime green shoulders and red chestplate that casual players endure ;)

In a lot of ways this makes the "end game" far more balanced than DAoC ever was.. at level 60 you don't gain any more abilities just for slapping people about in RvR.. you don't become "more powerful by being powerful"

In DAoC a RR10 Hunter is frequently more than a match for 3 or more people <RR5, in WoW 2 against 1 will usually win no matter how "shit-hot" your shiney new armour is supposed to be :p

..unless it's a well played Justwontdieadin/Iwinadin :D

Venoid
Emerald Rider

Post by Venoid »

I disagree about there isnt a huge gap in equipment, especially between Blue and Epic gear, altho I do agree that Epic PvP gear is not very disimiler to epic PvE obtained gear.

But thats not the point, its the fact that the way the system is set up, part of the game (namely the higher ranks) are totally 100% denied to anyone that doesnt log on 8+hours a day and PvP the whole time. Thats the issue with the game, yes you can get equivalent gear by going on 4hour instance runs, but why should people be denied going up ranks purely because they cant devote the time online to do so.

Obviously this makes no difference to me :p, as I rarel PvP anyway, and Im hardly the most casual of gamers, but it doesnt change the fact that the system is whacked, when it splits the community into different classes of players and allowing certain content to be only available ever to people that play within x amount of time a day.

Shi
Emerald Rider

Post by Shi »

you're right that sucks Venoid, but tbh it's the less bothering part to me of the whole system
i can live without some ubba epic blabla rewards, but the way the system affects general gameplay atm is trully worrying

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

Venoid wrote:But thats not the point, its the fact that the way the system is set up, part of the game (namely the higher ranks) are totally 100% denied to anyone that doesnt log on 8+hours a day and PvP the whole time. Thats the issue with the game, yes you can get equivalent gear by going on 4hour instance runs, but why should people be denied going up ranks purely because they cant devote the time online to do so.
Well compared to DAoC this is the same. Although DAoC realm ranks are not regulated by game itself, how many RR11 players do we have on server? I doubt there is any RR11 in DAoC who casualy played DAoC no more than 2 hours a day for last 3 years... Now when they put in RR13, how many of those do we have in Europe? Like 2 or 3 french I think, and that is way lower than 0.1 % Blizzard is aiming to have with rank 14.
Time = ranks, its so in DAoC, in WoW, and basicly any game. Even if there are no ranks in games like Quake (if you want), you as a casual gamer have no chance against someone who plays 8 hours a day...

Return to “World of Warcraft”