Mickey Mousey

Home for Lord of the Rings Online Players
Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

OohhoO wrote:I agree Xest, UOs character-development concept was very flexible. Crafting has never been as good since either IMO. It was also a lot of fun running it as a shard & making new things with scripts. Lots of things were possible with the basic UO system. It's a crying shame it has never been developed further.
It had so many cool little things that you'd not notice for ages, even little things like the gargoyle picks rocked but because there was so much content 80% of people never even found them. The rares system was cool partly because there was such a varied selection nearly everyone got a rare item of some kind which made everyone unique.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Gandelf wrote:I always felt that the end game with WoW was non-existent. Once I got to level 60 I lost all interest. Nowt to do except mine for ore. I can now get to level 70, so there is some new interest (currently my Mage is level sixty, but when (or "if", because I'm playing LotRO now and have cancelled my WoW subs) I get to level 70, then the non-existent end game will kick in again and I will find it all terribly boring. The fact that Blizz brought out an expansion, would suggest that they realised that "old" players needed something more after level 60.

DAoC's end game is better, with PvP etc.

Whether LotRO's end game will be better remains to be seen, but I certainly think there is a greater potential for a strong community, which will perhaps make players stay.

For me the end-game in Wow was much better than DAoC. I prefer PvE to PvP, and the DAoC PvE at 50 just isn't as good as WOW. My favourite time for DAoC end-game was just after the release of ToA, as it introduuced a lot of PvE, from solo to group to realm.

Wow has a lot more of that type of challenging end-game, and regularly adds more. It doesn't suit everyone, it takes a lot of time and dedication to be in a raiding guild. It did suit me for a long time though.

I did prefer the PvP in DAoC, although funnily enough that stopped being as good almost as ToA was released, ML abilities combined with RAs just made it into too much of an 8v8 game.

I don't see LotR being that much different either, once you have been playing for 3 months you will have done everything and start getting bored. Probably quicker than with DAoC and Wow, since this is the third time around!

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Ovi wrote:I don't see LotR being that much different either, once you have been playing for 3 months you will have done everything and start getting bored. Probably quicker than with DAoC and Wow, since this is the third time around!
4th time around for me! :D
Meridian59 (a REAL PvP game!)
UO
DAoC
LotRo
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

OohhoO wrote:4th time around for me! :D
Meridian59 (a REAL PvP game!)
UO
DAoC
LotRo

More than 3 for me too, although over a shorter period;

DAoC; SWG; EQ2; WOW; Eve online.

Was just using gandelf's example of DAoC -> WoW -> LotRo :)

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

oohhoo mentioned a really nifty game earlier in the week.
perhaps if i leave a forum cookie out here he will tell y'all all about it

but basically you got to play as the bad guys in a dungeon and needed to work out where the monsters went where and have a seperate room for the spiders :)

remember which it was oohhoo?

*puts a forum cookie on a stick and dangles it in the thread*
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Gandelf

Post by Gandelf »

I think the lifetime subscription with LotRO is a real boon. I'm certainly going to take up the offer because all the mmorpgs I've played so far I've played for well over a year.... probably more like 2 years and over. So the lifetime subs is going to save me money. Also, it means I won't have to rush at the game like a "bull in a china shop"... I can take it at a steady pace and really enjoy every nuance of the game without worrying about getting my money's worth. I think a game based on such a gigantic universe and background as LotRO deserves to be taken steadily and not rushed. There is so much that the game developers can do with it. If they want to expand certain areas of that universe then they have a virtually limitless source of material to draw their inspiration from.

It will be great with a lifetime subscription, to know that you can log on for years to come and really allow the game to become part of you. If you want a break from it, there is no pressure... just come back whenever you choose and your account will still be active.

I think lifetime subs is another area where LotRO is head and shoulders above other non-lifetime subscription mmorpgs.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

okay hijack:

m
i
c

k
e
y

mouse

mickey mouse
MICKEY MOUSE
mickey mouse
MICKEY MOUSE

(best bit of FMJ ever...)
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

How much does lifetime subscription cost? How much is monthly in comparison?

I'm not sure how a lifetime subscription makes an MMO good, it sounds more like a ruse to get people to subscribe for longer than the game will actually keep them interested, this is something that happens in a lot of subscription based scenarios.

What happens if you've paid lifetime and 3 months down the road they completely screw up game balance?

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Xest wrote:How much does lifetime subscription cost? How much is monthly in comparison?

I'm not sure how a lifetime subscription makes an MMO good, it sounds more like a ruse to get people to subscribe for longer than the game will actually keep them interested, this is something that happens in a lot of subscription based scenarios.

What happens if you've paid lifetime and 3 months down the road they completely screw up game balance?
I think it's more of an attempt to get the cash up front. Since the lifetime offer is only open to "Foundation Members", there is also a pressure to decide straight away, which I really didn't like the idea of...

I guess it's also a way to keep the "active subs" figures higher than they may otherwise be after a time.

If I remember correctly it's about the cost of 11 months subs (£99; £9/month?) So if I genuinely felt I would play it a while, like I did Wow when it was released, I would probably have gone for it... and with Wow I would have saved money.

All in all I think it's a good option, BUT I don't think it shoudl have been open only to Foundation Members!

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

[quote="Ovi"]I think it's more of an attempt to get the cash up front. Since the lifetime offer is only open to "Foundation Members", there is also a pressure to decide straight away, which I really didn't like the idea of...

I guess it's also a way to keep the "active subs" figures higher than they may otherwise be after a time.

If I remember correctly it's about the cost of 11 months subs (£99]
Not too bad cost wise then, it's pretty fair and they should be able to keep an MMO worth playing 11 months, but you never know with MMOs nowadays that's the problem.

There hasn't been much buzz for LotRo it really doesn't seem well advertised, I've only really heard about it via word of mouth other than the beta invite and to me that's not a good sign for an MMO, it's why DAoC never really got very impressive subscriber numbers.

Return to “Lord of the Rings Online”