Lord of the Rings online - Screenshots

Home for Lord of the Rings Online Players
Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

[quote="Gandelf"]I would have told the foreigners to get used to talking in English, because it's the international language and one day all other languages will be banned. ]

All servers should be English once tbh, are the Germans really so bad on English that they need their own or what?

But I guess it speaks for itself when they have to dub more or less every movie that gets out.
(This is not to try to be rude, just an observation, and I do wonder if the majority of the people are is so poor at English that they do need everything converted.)

For the French, well from what I have heard they are just to Proud or something, don't know whats up with that or even if it's true, just what I have heard.

Well, not to be rude to anyone, but I do agree on that the English language should be used in all games, I don't se the need for any other languages, as you say it is the international language, and I can't see why people can't adapt to that.

But better not get into this language thing again, think I remember some thread about this before and it was an endless loop ;D
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

I will probably play on a german server after release.
They're considerably more friendly & way more tolerant about people speaking other languages & generally much less racist than the english-speakers.
Kinda makes me ashamed to be British TBH.
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

OohhoO wrote:I will probably play on a german server after release.
They're considerably more friendly & way more tolerant about people speaking other languages & generally much less racist than the english-speakers.
Kinda makes me ashamed to be British TBH.

Well Im Swedish, and I still think that it should be easy to have English as the language, I can't see why people have anything against it, if anything I think it's strange that anyone would have something against it, I don't get that atall.

Racist hasent anything to do with it, well atleast not from my part, for me it's just common sence in whats most logical.
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

theyre doing seperate language servers and RP servers.

I agree oohhoo. The only thing that stops me playing there is the fact i cant speak a word of german :/
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Usually when I'm on the test server the dominant language is german, so maybe instead of the Brits telling the Germans to stop speaking German it should be the other way round? Ban English on the server?

After all, there's no real reason for a UK server in the first place. DaoC has proved pretty well that UK servers aren't as viable as German-speaking or French-speaking servers, & if people want to play on International-English (=American) servers then they can always play on the servers of their buddies across the Atlantic. They have a test server too where probably mainly International-English & Spanish are the dominant languages :)

German-language & French-language servers get set up because they're economically viable due to the huge market for computer games in French-speaking & German-speaking countries & the fact that they want to be able to play in their mother-tongue & generally hardly speak any English, but looking at it logically, there's absolutely no need for UK servers.

To conclude - If you want to beta test LotRo in International-English & can't stand people talking French or German, join the US Beta, not the European one. There's a very good financial reason why they have a German & a French beta client.
-
-

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

OohhoO wrote:Here is a direct graphics comparison between WoW, Vanguard & LotRo in almost identical settings.
http://lotrovault.ign.com/View.php?view ... tail&id=89
Even without bearing in mind that the LotRo screenshots were made with the low-res beta client & the release client should apparently be higher-res there is really no contest.
Maybe - but that doesnt make LoTR the best alternativ.

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

<ankh> wrote:Maybe - but that doesnt make LoTR the best alternativ.
No.
They seem to be quite different games aimed at different markets.
From what I've heard VG is more for people who like challenging PvE.
I have no clue about LotRos endgame but it seems more aimed at relaxed fun thus far.
-
-

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

OohhoO wrote:No.
They seem to be quite different games aimed at different markets.
From what I've heard VG is more for people who like challenging PvE.
I have no clue about LotRos endgame but it seems more aimed at relaxed fun thus far.
Yepp, thats exactly what VG is - I love the game, but I wish they had optimized the game engine...thats about it.

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Ack I said LotRo had 6 classes, but I forgot Minstrels so 7.
Please forgive etc :D
-
-

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

OohhoO wrote:After all, there's no real reason for a UK server in the first place. DaoC has proved pretty well that UK servers aren't as viable as German-speaking or French-speaking servers, & if people want to play on International-English (=American) servers then they can always play on the servers of their buddies across the Atlantic. They have a test server too where probably mainly International-English & Spanish are the dominant languages

German-language & French-language servers get set up because they're economically viable due to the huge market for computer games in French-speaking & German-speaking countries & the fact that they want to be able to play in their mother-tongue & generally hardly speak any English, but looking at it logically, there's absolutely no need for UK servers.
AFAIK you weren't around in the early days of DAoC, so you may have missed this but there's good reason for the relatively low English speaking playerbase on the European servers. One of the major reasons DAoC's English servers had such low population is because DAoC was released in Europe much later than the US, as a result of this many English speaking players had already started on the US servers, rather than wait 4months or so for the UK servers. If you were to take into account the amount of English speaking Europeans on the US servers you would see the population of the French/German servers dwarfed, North American players only actually make up around 35% of the US server populations from experience with around a further 30% being Asian/Australian and 35% being European English speakers.

If WAR is released at the same time in Europe as in the US there's no reason to believe that the UK-English servers wont be the largest, with the only possible factor now that may prevent this being GOA's past demonstrations of sheer incompetence putting people off and convincing them to play the US game. It may even be the case that Mythic will pull a Blizzard and make it near impossible to play on the US servers if you're from Europe and in that case, not having English servers would be MMO-suicide!

Of course I can't talk for LotR as I don't know their playerbase, but in the overall picture, England is a country with one of the biggest uptakes of computer gaming in Europe. Taking Planetside as an example, the people playing on the European server were nearly entirely English however it would be a bit ignorant to suggest from that that this means we don't need any Spanish, German or French servers for other MMOs!
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Lord of the Rings Online”