Warhammer Online Vs World Of Warcraft

Home for Warhammer Online players
Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

<ankh> wrote:Warhammer has been around since the middle of the 80's...warcraft 1 was released 1994.

Edit: Warhammer don't need to copy anything from warcraft - they got shitloads of background information due to all the rpg/tabletop books they've released.

Edit: That includes tons of excellent art and shitloads of figures.

/Ankh
Warcraft's lore changed a fair bit in Warcraft 3 also, the elves in Warcraft 1 and 2 are worlds apart from the ones in Warcraft 3 and WoW for example.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Xest wrote:Warcraft's lore changed a fair bit in Warcraft 3 also, the elves in Warcraft 1 and 2 are worlds apart from the ones in Warcraft 3 and WoW for example.
Ofc, I never said they don't have any ideas on their own - but the main thing is that they've taken lots of inspiration/ideas from Warhammer from the start. And I think I read interviews some years back where Blizzard admited it. (well, they didnt admit as the reporter didnt ask them about it - they just said they had taken loads of things from warhammer and I even think I read something about they wanted to make it warhammer in the start.) Everything evolves, so one cannot expect them to keep the same things forever - I think they would have ended up being sued if they had kept on taking things from warhammer.

/Ankh

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

<ankh> wrote:Ofc, I never said they don't have any ideas on their own - but the main thing is that they've taken lots of inspiration/ideas from Warhammer from the start. And I think I read interviews some years back where Blizzard admited it. (well, they didnt admit as the reporter didnt ask them about it - they just said they had taken loads of things from warhammer and I even think I read something about they wanted to make it warhammer in the start.) Everything evolves, so one cannot expect them to keep the same things forever - I think they would have ended up being sued if they had kept on taking things from warhammer.

/Ankh
No that's not what I meant :)

I meant the fact that Warcraft has changed so much means that it's irrelevant when Warcraft 1 was released compared to Warhammer because Warcraft 1/2 were very different, a better comparison for this purpose would be Warcraft 3 vs. Warhammer as Warcraft 3/WoW's lore and style is the one competing with the new Warhammer MMO rather than the old Warcraft lore and style.

When taking this into account it looks much more like Warcraft 3/WoW "stole" more from Warhammer than Warcraft 1 and 2 did.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Xest wrote:No that's not what I meant :)

I meant the fact that Warcraft has changed so much means that it's irrelevant when Warcraft 1 was released compared to Warhammer because Warcraft 1/2 were very different, a better comparison for this purpose would be Warcraft 3 vs. Warhammer as Warcraft 3/WoW's lore and style is the one competing with the new Warhammer MMO rather than the old Warcraft lore and style.

When taking this into account it looks much more like Warcraft 3/WoW "stole" more from Warhammer than Warcraft 1 and 2 did.
Ah, now I get it :)

Edit: and those games were released 2002/2004 - so 19-21 years laters :)

/Ankh

Argyleyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Argyleyn »

They have admitted it actually, Metzen who is the main lore guy in wow has said a lot of times he was a warhammer fan.
Argyleyn, ex raven ardent prime prestidigitist.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Argyleyn wrote:They have admitted it actually, Metzen who is the main lore guy in wow has said a lot of times he was a warhammer fan.
Don't think it's such a bad thing either tbh, LotR is very similar to it all in many ways too, what came first btw LotR or Warhammer?

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Argyleyn wrote:They have admitted it actually, Metzen who is the main lore guy in wow has said a lot of times he was a warhammer fan.
Yeah, thats what I said :) but I saw it in a long interview :)

/Ankh

Shi
Emerald Rider

Post by Shi »

Xest wrote:Don't think it's such a bad thing either tbh, LotR is very similar to it all in many ways too, what came first btw LotR or Warhammer?
what u mean Xest? :)
Hobbit is from 1937 and LoTR from 50s as far as books are concerned.
Luri 4 ever
Shin, Runepriest,<Ravens Bane> K8Peaks EU

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Xest wrote:Don't think it's such a bad thing either tbh, LotR is very similar to it all in many ways too, what came first btw LotR or Warhammer?
It has ofc taking influense from Middle earth and renaissance Germany. (not sure if its a joke from you, but I thought everyone knew that LoTR is from the 50's)

Edit: I think there are some Stormbringer traces in Warhammer too tbh.

/Ankh

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

ShiShi wrote:what u mean Xest? :)
Hobbit is from 1937 and LoTR from 50s as far as books are concerned.
That's what I was wondering I wasn't sure exactly how old they are ;) I wasn't inferring anything, was purely intrigued :) Were those books the first time we saw dwarves with axes and sheilds and elves with bows and such as opposed to people with a genetic disorder and santa's little helpers? Interested to know how far that style of lore goes back.

Return to “Warhammer Online”