Warhammer -- Goa hosting discussion

Home for Warhammer Online players
Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Sharkith wrote:actually this is an issue and it would be a concern for me given the history here. Surely Mythic would allow us to have accounts with their direct service?

It's unlikely Mythic will allow us to have accounts with the direct service. Their contract with GOA will probably not allow it, GOA have paid for us :o

How easy it is to get around the systems they put in place is a different question though ;)

I agree it's an issue, it is the biggest issue for me. I would try my hardest not to have to play on GoA servers, especially if they are always a patch behind the US servers. I would live with 1 week delay between US patch and EU patch, but no more!

Kishih
Emerald Rider

Post by Kishih »

just checked the faq on war-europe. The servers will be near Paris, at the same location as current DAOC servers. So unless open transit will improve connections, there will be the same problems. (I don't suffer from them)
However the game will be in english, german, french, italian and spanish. Good for those countries I suppose, but this time I will not wait months for patches to be translated before they go life, so you'll find me on US servers.

ambera
Emerald Rider

Post by ambera »

Cba finding the quote, but Mythic have said that all english-language patches will be simultaneous release.

OT & the famous lag, and the bizarre lack of reliable backups, those are more of a concern for me.
Ambera the Heroine
Avery, Thid NS & Potion Monkey
Ascarii the Warden
Animamba, Verdant Ani
Ahoulin, Luri Screamer

long-tailed nanny-o

Requiel

Post by Requiel »

The Official WAR-Europe site has a brief FAQ section which addresses many of the concerns brought up here.

All patches and expansions wil be released simultaneously, support will be of the same quality and using the same tools and policies. Other details are yet to be announced but the broad plan is for there to be no qualitative difference between playing on any server.

This is not the same arrangement as for DAoC. Both we and Mythic have learnt a great deal about how to collaborate on projects such as this through our experiences on DAoC and WAR will benefit from all of that from the outset.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Requiel wrote:The Official WAR-Europe site has a brief FAQ section which addresses many of the concerns brought up here.

All patches and expansions wil be released simultaneously, support will be of the same quality and using the same tools and policies. Other details are yet to be announced but the broad plan is for there to be no qualitative difference between playing on any server.

This is not the same arrangement as for DAoC. Both we and Mythic have learnt a great deal about how to collaborate on projects such as this through our experiences on DAoC and WAR will benefit from all of that from the outset.
I think the biggest concern for most though is the infrastructure/technical problems GOA has had - some they often claim aren't their fault, i.e. OpenTransit issues. What's being done to resolve those?

I hope you can understand why a lot of players simply don't trust promises by GOA in terms of this kind of issue. What's the chance of GOA providing a Service Level Agreement as part of the terms and conditions of the players account signup guaranteeing players a contractual agreement by GOA that they will maintain certain uptimes, performance and that offsite backups will always be available with no data loss possible more than 24 - 48hrs etc.? For me personally I would go back to the GOA servers IF there was something like this else I simply couldn't possibly trust GOA again as broken promises is one of GOA's more common issues so it's really hard to trust GOA again.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

Now, considering the small chance that WAR is really that good that it gets me hooked, then I have two options:
1) Play in US via Mythic
Pros:
- same language
- direct support
Cons:
- out of peek times most of the times
- beta guinea pig (translations take time - unless patches in US wait till GOA has them ready GOA will get in the delay again)

2) Play in Europe via GOA
Pros:
- peek time play
Cons:
- untrusty connections via OT
- probably delay

In all honesty after 5 years of GOA "support" (which has improved but is still not satisfactory) a lot of English-speaking potential WAR players with some inside knowledge of DAOC and how it was run will go to the US servers - unless real life connections and/or hope will make them log on to the European servers.

Still, the biggest issue will be how many servers at the start will allow how many connections?
Consider how WOW was overwhelmed with a lot of hype (Blizzard + World of Warcraft = must-play game) the same can happen with WAR. Not because of Mythic and DAOC but simply due to Warhammer.
Plus at this time WOW will be somehow going into medium age and severe changes are unlikely to happen so WAR is the new kid on the block with similar play style but new and shiny.

I seriously doubt that Mythic and GOA have the finanical clout to set up front a big server bank to service the initial demand. Then again I was proven wrong at other times.
"If you are not living on the edge, you occupy too much space!"

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Kesxex wrote: - beta guinea pig (translations take time - unless patches in US wait till GOA has them ready GOA will get in the delay again)
Requiel wrote: All patches and expansions wil be released simultaneously, support will be of the same quality and using the same tools and policies.
/Ankh

Kesxex

Post by Kesxex »

The only way GOA can be on the same patch as Mythic is when Mythic delays. Translations take quite a time - so Mythic will be ready to patch the US servers long before GOA is ready to patch European server.

To be seen how long Mythic will play put. That way:
Kesxex wrote:In all honesty after 5 years of GOA "support" (which has improved but is still not satisfactory) a lot of English-speaking potential WAR players with some inside knowledge of DAOC and how it was run will go to the US servers - unless real life connections and/or hope will make them log on to the European servers.
"If you are not living on the edge, you occupy too much space!"

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

it is worth pointing out here that I honestly have not experienced anything too major since Christmas and maybe before with the Open Transit/GOA thing. In fact I am very very happy with GOA at the moment, they are doing a really good job for me.

The patch release delay is an issue but that is going to be resolved with WAR by the looks of things.

What worries me is exactly what your saying Kes - demand and the infrastructure. Will they be able to anticipate just what they will have to confront? Warhammer like Warcraft is already a global product, I know wargamers seriously considering playing it because of the history and then there is the WoW factor your absolutely right.

We know that technically the Paris connection has had its issues an unknown future with respect to demand coupled with what we know from the past is where the problem lies. A reputation is something earned very hard and destroyed so very quickly, its a difficult one.

At least we have a good year left before the games release so we can guage how GOA do in the meantime. If they can at least get to the release without any major problems I might be prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Kesxex wrote:- out of peek times most of the times
It's not an issue on US DAoC (as mentioned before, US has bigger off-peak populations than euro has on-peak quite often, i.e. now!) and it's almost certain WAR will have a bigger playerbase so should be even less of an issue, even more so if even more euro players play US due to previous bad euro DAoC experience.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Warhammer Online”