Warhammer -- Goa hosting discussion

Home for Warhammer Online players
Grymligast
Emerald Rider

Post by Grymligast »

Not worried about GOA. I am worried about OT.

They can´t handle daoc+WoW as it is now. What makes u think they can handle W.A.R aswell?
Grymligast RR9l0 SB Shelved
Mirani RR5l3 Valkyrie In progress
+30 or so more chars.

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

Its a simple calculation, really.

If you can buy same product from 2 companies with same price, you will choose the one that has a better reputation.
Hep, treated MMORPG addict, on the way to master his uni
Morana, one of a few Rangers, that did not Zerg. Retired for good.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Kesxex wrote:The only way GOA can be on the same patch as Mythic is when Mythic delays. Translations take quite a time - so Mythic will be ready to patch the US servers long before GOA is ready to patch European server.
Blizzard seem to manage with WoW <shrug>

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Ovi wrote:Blizzard seem to manage with WoW <shrug>
Yep, translation isn't a long process, I'm not sure how GOA made it take so long, there aren't many new strings of text added in a patch, maybe some paragraphs for a new quest, a few item/spell names etc. Would take someone fluent in both languages maybe an hour or two to translate, maybe a few hours to check it's okay then you should be good to go. AFAIK though GOA said in the past it's not translation that takes the time for them but testing the different language versions?
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Lairiodd wrote:Hmm, they don't give much info. I wonder if it will be the same delayed patches etc.
euhm ...
Requiel wrote:All patches and expansions wil be released simultaneously, support will be of the same quality and using the same tools and policies. Other details are yet to be announced but the broad plan is for there to be no qualitative difference between playing on any server.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Satyn wrote:euhm ...
Damn you, I had my post deleted seconds after you quoted it :).

Yeah, I should have read the entire thread first.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Xest wrote:Yep, translation isn't a long process, I'm not sure how GOA made it take so long, there aren't many new strings of text added in a patch, maybe some paragraphs for a new quest, a few item/spell names etc. Would take someone fluent in both languages maybe an hour or two to translate, maybe a few hours to check it's okay then you should be good to go. AFAIK though GOA said in the past it's not translation that takes the time for them but testing the different language versions?
It is likely that Goa do some local modifications to the binaries. They seem to also have different database structures or something. I mean how is it possible to have a bug crop up due to translation. There are also issues like the reply bug and stealther climb walls (not sure if they are fixed), but they are also language related.

I guess Mythic are now specifically making it easy to localise. If every piece of text is pulled from a table, then all a translator needs to do is update the table. Ideally, it wouldn't even require a re-compile of the source code.

Vbulletin (and presumably many other programs) has something like that with each piece of text referring to a "phrase". The entire forum could be switched to another language by just updating all the phrases ... well assuming we hadn't done any manual hacks :p and obviously it wouldn't affect the posts language.

For the client, they could even have you being able to select/download a file that is stored on your computer for any language that is stored locally. This would allow e.g. a Japanese player to play with a client that is localised to Japanese on a server that is localised to French. Any text the server sends would be in French and the rest of the GUI would be Japanese :). This again would mean no need to recompile ... also no need to have a client set up for different languages if you play on more than 1 language server.

What would be interesting is if they had a system whereby players can play on both servers. For example, you could create 1 char per Mythic server if you had a Goa account and vice-versa. Alternatively, a SLA could include a character transfer clause. If you pay EUR 40 (or other fixed fee), you can have your account moved between providers and they promise it will take less than a week (or other duration). I am not sure how to decide which servers to send them to though :).
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Camlann

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Kari
Emerald Rider

Post by Kari »

Lairiodd wrote: Hmm, they don't give much info. I wonder if it will be the same delayed patches etc.
Satyn wrote:euhm ...
Requiel wrote: All patches and expansions wil be released simultaneously, support will be of the same quality and using the same tools and policies. Other details are yet to be announced but the broad plan is for there to be no qualitative difference between playing on any server.
There's a lot of us out here who still dont believe GOA reps when they say something is fact, based off past experiences. And we'll be off to US servers if that's at all possible.

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

The problem is that there isn't that much benefit from playing on the Goa servers (if we get the choice) relative to the US ones. This is irrespective of your opinions on Goa or Open Transit.

The main benefits are (potentially) slightly lower ping and more local timezone action. However, assuming that there becomes a de facto EU server in the US, then that doesn't really apply.

However, if you speak one of the languages that Goa are translating to, then you are getting a value add due to that fact. English servers don't get that value add.

A better solution might be to have Mythic handle the English speaking servers and have Goa handle the localised ones (which they are offering a slightly different service to). Even better would be to have all servers accessible by everyone. There would need to be a billing agreement that splits the subs fairly between the 2 hosts though. Probably something like basing it on time spent connected to the servers. If a Goa account spends 80% of its time connected to a Mythic server, then Mythic gets say 80% of the account fees after processing costs etc.
Prydwen
Camlann

Requiel

Post by Requiel »

Kari wrote:There's a lot of us out here who still dont believe GOA reps when they say something is fact, based off past experiences. And we'll be off to US servers if that's at all possible.
It isn't only me who said that. The FAQs which I took that info from were written by Mythic.

Return to “Warhammer Online”