(Discussion) -- Post your starting server/side/name here!

Home for Warhammer Online players
Hoonius

Post by Hoonius »

it's gonna be easy to get US copies

Mythic are bound to provide the whole thing electronically and places like http://www.gamersloot.com have always served me well getting the CD keys in time.

Even if it is a few days late, i'm willing to wait that small amount of time for a better quality service overall. Sure, i could start on day 1 but how long is it going to be till i ahve my whole inventory deleted and non-restored?

Not taking the chance, no way no how. I have some good friends in the states anyway, so could probz get the boxed version airmailed if it came to that

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

same here, gamersloot usualy get you the code in ~15min or so from ordering it
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Xest wrote: In all honest, I don't really know why MMO providers even need separate versions nowadays, sure have servers in a different country but the entire operation could easily be run from a single place.
Isn't that how WOW does it ? I would assume it would be standard for a massive company.
I'd imagine it benefits everyone because it can't be cheap running an operation in multiple countries.
Yeah, it is expensive to setup in multiple countries. Large companies can do it, but it isn't so easy for small companies. However, as you say, Mythic are part of EA now, so they should be able to cover it. OTOH, it might still be cheaper to license to GOA than to setup their own operation in Europe, if GOA has sufficient experience and local knowledge. GOA also will presumably be handling the translations, so that is another area that Mythic might not want to get involved with.

OTOH, the benefit in GOA handling the UK seem pretty minor. They don't 'add value' by performing translations.
this was always GOA's excuse for being underfunded compared to the US version.
Except, Mythic had to actually spend money on development of the game, which GOA didn't have to pay (they license was effectively their contribution).
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Lairirian Level 50 Mana Mentalist and Legendary Spellcrafter (TDD)
Lairgreybark Level 50 Arb Animist
Lairmindlock Level 50 Bard (TDD)
Camlann
Lairthall Level 35+ Friar

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Over 150 gems at 99% stocked

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Lairiodd wrote:Except, Mythic had to actually spend money on development of the game, which GOA didn't have to pay (they license was effectively their contribution).
But if GOA are paying x amount per year and they need to keep subscription costs at £9.99 or whatever to stop people running off to WAR leaving them with only y amount of profits I can see why there might potentially be a squeeze. On the same note however, I don't think it's really an acceptable excuse for crap service, if their profits were squeezed so tight that they had to buy cheap servers that didn't even warn about faulty CPU fans as per the whole database screwup incident, or so they didn't have a proper backup regime, again as per that incident or so they didn't have proper security procedures as per the hacking incident and so on then frankly, it would make more moral sense NOT to bid for the contract. The reason they did is frankly because they know there'll always be the hardcore of customers willing to pay no matter how much of a shoestring budget they run the operation on in order to gain at least some profit, I'd certainly be interested to know if they could reasonably drop profits to provide a professional service however.

Of course however as I say it seems rather irrelevant to me, because you don't have to put up with that when you can go straight to the developer and get that professional service from the off. GOA have made some absolutely major screwups through the years and simply put I don't want my personal details, including credit card info in the hands of people so utterly incompetent - it's not as if they haven't continued charging closed accounts in the past. I could quite imagine seeing GOA being the type of company to lose all your personal info to criminals, that's if they haven't already and just not informed their customers in true GOA style.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

locherbread
Emerald Rider

Post by locherbread »

What I find most difficult to comprehend is, why has Mythic continued with GOA even after all these balls up, poor form on Mythics part methinks..
Greenpegasus Season 50 dippy & unkempt druid

Lovfinion Season 50 The Know it all Chanter

Locherbread Season 50 The Sauve Lover :brokenhea

Wolfzander Season 50 Little dude ranger

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

they always got the cash from GOA=no problem for mythic with them
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

Did a thread split ... ahh the joys of modding :p.
Prydwen
Lairiodd Level 50 Nightshade and Legendary Grandmaster Smith (1065) check prices here
Camlann

Stocking one 99% of most of the useful spellcrafting gems at Houses 3304 and 3306

Lairiodd
Emerald Rider

Post by Lairiodd »

What would people think of us picking 'recommended' servers for the site to focus on. We could maybe pick 4 servers, one for each realm on EU and one for each realm on US, e.g.

EU/server5/order
EU/server6/chaos

US/server3/order
US/server4/chaos

This would give people the ability to play anywhere they like while still compacting 'prydwenites' into as small an area as possible. It also eliminates cross/realming issues. We could then focus on those communities.

That was one of the main points for this site originally. It was focussed on a specific server/realm.

Tenpit did try to encourage people from the other realms to join (and for a time, there was even mods from the other realms).

The single realm focus really helped the community. For example, I don't think Freddyshouse would have had secret realm forums as you would be wondering if the mods were sneaking a peek etc.
Prydwen
Camlann

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Xest wrote:I think most people are starting US tbh, we just need to convince Satyn to join us US imo ;)
(late reply)

Sorry i'm a GOA *****, always will be ;)
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Slaraigh
Emerald Rider

Post by Slaraigh »

I'm wanna roll on the server Anthirs joins and where Xest don't roll. Can't stand his whining :p

My default choice is EU/Destruction/Core, so I guess 8 peaks ;)

Edit: Rolled on 8 Peaks Destruction now. If there's no queues (like yesterday), I will have my friends over and start here as well. For the oldies that can remember, they are Zoltar and Zharak/Abelar/Zhaman.
Retired WAR:
Slaraigh - T4 Chosen
Deuce Bigalow - T4 Shaman
- Crimson Imperium Reborn - Karak Norn -

Retired daoc:
Slaraigh Dwarftosser - 50 hero aran2:
Deuce Bigalow - 50 Druid :wank:
- Hibernian Dragon Slayers - Prydwen

Return to “Warhammer Online”