Europe beta open for registrations

Home for Warhammer Online players
Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

there is a site where we can sign up to Beta on US?? Someon said on NFD forums....
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

they are advising us to sign up to euro beta Gahn. :(
Na Fianna Dragun

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Sharkith wrote:they are advising us to sign up to euro beta Gahn. :(
Yeh well fake a number and sign up there ^^
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Na Fianna Dragun

HappyG
Emerald Rider

Post by HappyG »

No matter how you look at it, Flash is a perfect presentation tool, but it fails when you use it as a main technology for portals like http://www.war-europe.com. It's not like it's impossible to do it, it just demands much more work to make it right than traditional server generated HTML, and I think GOA failed it.

First of all, its slow. Users traditionaly browse only few pages every day (news, ladders, etc.), so they have to open quickly without annoying "loading ..." animations. Also, on GOA's page you click on "News" 5 times, and you get the same "loading ... " each time - no caching.

Second, while it is possible in Flash, GOA's site does't support copy/paste, which is essential for word spreading (fan sites copy / paste news, people do that via MSN, etc...).

Third, it takes some SOE to make Flash portal visible to the outside. For instance, Google "warhammer" & "warhammer beta
". Now try it with "warhammer europe" & "warhammer europe beta".
Site is basicly unknown to the search engines.

As for beta signup - if you don't have JavaScript and Flash turned on on your web browser, you may aswell use Lynx than, Xest. In 2007 I'd call that obscurity, not security :) Personnaly, I'd rather loose that 0.1% of users, because those same users tend to harass customer support with problems like "my 7 firewalls report that patch.war.goa.com is trying to hack me every time I run Warhammer!"
Hep, treated MMORPG addict, on the way to master his uni
Morana, one of a few Rangers, that did not Zerg. Retired for good.

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

HappyG wrote:
As for beta signup - if you don't have JavaScript and Flash turned on on your web browser, you may aswell use Lynx than, Xest. In 2007 I'd call that obscurity, not security :) Personnaly, I'd rather loose that 0.1% of users, because those same users tend to harass customer support with problems like "my 7 firewalls report that patch.war.goa.com is trying to hack me every time I run Warhammer!"
LOL are you saying Xest might be a bit odd?
Na Fianna Dragun

*b*
Emerald Rider

Post by *b* »

i've signed up flame:
**Doac**
Bodica willowblade (Druid)
hellising alucard (nightshade)

**WoW**
Tankgirl (warrior)
willowblade (hunter)

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

HappyG wrote:No matter how you look at it, Flash is a perfect presentation tool, but it fails when you use it as a main technology for portals like http://www.war-europe.com.
Exactly. It really should only be used for non-essential multimedia information, unless of course the purpose of your site is multimedia - i.e. Youtube. Mythic has made small use of it on their frontpage for the podcast stuff etc. but all of this is available without JavaScript/Flash available as well also of course.
HappyG wrote:As for beta signup - if you don't have JavaScript and Flash turned on on your web browser, you may aswell use Lynx than, Xest. In 2007 I'd call that obscurity, not security Personnaly, I'd rather loose that 0.1% of users, because those same users tend to harass customer support with problems like "my 7 firewalls report that patch.war.goa.com is trying to hack me every time I run Warhammer!"
6% of users don't have Javascript enabled according to the W3C's visits, if they have say 5,000 beta players (i.e. 2 servers worth) then I'd say 300 customers is a hell of a lot to piss off. If they keep the site like this when the game goes live and you could well have 100,000 players or even more, I'd say 6,000 players not being able to access their accounts is a bit of a fuck up!

As for Javascript vulnerabilities, the fact that people don't disable it is the very reason there are so many spyware infections in the world, so many users who's machines are used as part of botnets for spamming and so forth. It is still seen as the number one problem for browser security, and Javascript exploits still surface frequently in Firefox and IE:

http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/22680

http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/22531/info

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21841 ... -uncovered

This has been the same since Javascript's creation really, the severity and frequency of exploits just never really tailed off with it. When it comes to it, Javascript isn't a particularly essential technology, it's horribly over-used, even more so with AJAX being the latest buzzword. Whilst AJAX rocks for some apps, like Google's only spreadsheet and word processor it doesn't work particularly well for others, one of which dare I point out is this very forum - I've encountered multiple bugs on vBulletin since they implemented AJAX into it because when they data at the backend is more dynamic and frequently changes as it is on a forum it's much harder to make sure everything is sync'd. Probably the best use for Javascript is for things like client-side form validation!

Edit: This covers some other worthwhile points I've ignored - http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/whatnojs.html
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Sharkith wrote:they are advising us to sign up to euro beta Gahn. :(

beverly Hills 90210 :D
works every time :D
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Return to “Warhammer Online”