Freeshard

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

not gona waiste much words on this. Xest might have a nice way of putting things but it doesnt make it all true.
Freeshards are illegal. If you openly say on a forum that you use it then you might get a 3 day vacation from daoc.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

That was some very in depth and compelling evidence proving the legality of freeshards Satyn, well done, you totally convinced me.

Obviously you've spent a long time studying the subject and know it inside out.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

i cant be arsed Xest.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Can't ban a closed acc hun either :)

Norcott
Emerald Rider

Post by Norcott »

Arcsalin wrote:Can't ban a closed acc hun either :)
can stop it from re-opening though eh ;)
hehe couldnt resist.. the temptation was to great for me to pass up on a cheap laugh mwahaha:
Norcott - Ranger
Hibernian Dragon Slayers [GM]
Eyes and Ears Volunteer

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Heh i knew Nor was gonna step in there, howevah, that remains to be seen and - 'if' i get teh urge to open it :D

Belisar
Emerald Rider

Post by Belisar »

At the end of the day any arguments or thoughts we have about legality or code do not matter a jot.

If Mythic decide for themselves that freeshards are illegal and also decide the right punishment for known use of them is a ban, then posting here or discussing here simply makes their identification job easier.

What does matter is that by pointing out any perceived plus points could encourage peeps to try it (in which case they could also get a ban) or encourage peeps to move from DAoC completely (which I would prefer not to happen).
Brain cells come and brain cells go but fat cells live forever !

Currently playing Hib (ofc) on Uthgard

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Belisar wrote:At the end of the day any arguments or thoughts we have about legality or code do not matter a jot.

If Mythic decide for themselves that freeshards are illegal and also decide the right punishment for known use of them is a ban, then posting here or discussing here simply makes their identification job easier.

What does matter is that by pointing out any perceived plus points could encourage peeps to try it (in which case they could also get a ban) or encourage peeps to move from DAoC completely (which I would prefer not to happen).
No, I agree completely Belisar, part the reason I moved this thread here was an act of goodwill so as to help try and lessen any effect this sort of thread may have on decreasing DAoC's playerbase, however on the same note freeshards also have some very real benefits so allowing outright lies to go uncorrected is also unfair. Likewise if people really DO want to try freeshards they should be allowed to do so without fear of thinking they're breaking the law when in fact they're not breaking the law in the slightest.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Belisar
Emerald Rider

Post by Belisar »

It is not an easy one I agree but I would hate for someone to get themselves a ban because they read this and thought freeshards was the way to go (either long term or just for a change).

I can see places where the law needs to be changed but do not encourage people to break it just because I do not agree.
Brain cells come and brain cells go but fat cells live forever !

Currently playing Hib (ofc) on Uthgard

Arcsalin
Emerald Rider

Post by Arcsalin »

Well imo it was very nice of you to keep the thread going Xest. I think it serves as quite a good thread which has had balance in most parts and shows that the subject was worth putting up in the first place and well worth discussing so people (like me who didn't understand what even freeshards were) get their opportunity to make their own minds up about their implications and the full script about them. Like I said, i tryed it, i don't intend to go back. I understand the implications of what i did and have no regrets.

I have seen how DAOC will be when mythic lets go of it at some point in the future and if mythic finally lets the game die in what ever distant plan that is, then i see nothing wrong with fans keeping the game alive as they have done with freeshards on ultima online - And will do with any other game :)

Return to “Off Topic”