wow

A forum for anyhing not game related.
pikeh
Emerald Rider

wow

Post by pikeh »

have been given a project at uni based around north east south and west, and have been asked to produce flags for each area of the world (dosent have to be world based if you dont want it to be) so i got a bought a book which had lots of pictures of awesome universey stuff like nebulas and one caught my eye in particular - the carina nebula;

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/image/astro/ ... 2_0006.jpg

and tbh im so bored just doing work atm so i decided to work out how long it would take to get there travelling at 100 mph - an above average car speed.

sooo,

one light year = approximately 9.5 million million kilometres (a light year is the distance light travels in one earth year)

it is 8500 light years away which is equal to 9.5 million million x 8500 kilometres.

80,416,209,016,940,000 kilometres then.

so thats;

49,968,315,672,062 hours travelling at 100 miles an hour

approximately 5,700,891,691 years at 100 miles an hour (above average car journey speed)

shite.

nerdy- yes, but look how cool it looks!
Piikeh/SH/r40/rr4X
<White Rose>
R.I.P Severance

Zil
Emerald Rider

Post by Zil »

but where do you stop for gas?!?! :D

but yeh its pretty :)
Currently Playing Giaz - Skald on Camlann
Maddi 50 Enchantress
Middi 50 Nightshade
Liva 50 Druid
Theia 50 Hero
+ 20 other lvl 50's across Europe
"The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it."

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

I can't help but feel the cluster towards the top left of the image is sticking it's middle finger up at us.

Perhaps this is where the little green men Gary McKinnon has been rambling insanely on about live?

One interesting thing about your numbers, is that the amount of time to travel there is roughly 1.7 billion years longer than the earth has existed, or put another way, almost twice as long as it took for the very first simple bacterial life forms on earth to evolve into what we are today. Scary huh ;) ?
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

lol
it looks like its sticking its middle finger at us and there is a little guy dangling from the bottom

and either ive been watching charmed too much with the baby in it or my 'clock' is ticking cuz i can also see a baby carrige and a chibi face...
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Heta
Emerald Rider

Post by Heta »

I only see piles of corpses and wounded people running away in fear from me in that picture....

:coffee2:
Woho! I got a 360 \o/

Norcott
Emerald Rider

Post by Norcott »

[quote="pikeh"]
one light year = approximately 9.5 million million kilometres (a light year is the distance light travels in one earth year)

it is 8500 light years away which is equal to 9.5 million million x 8500 kilometres.

80,416,209,016,940,000 kilometres then.

so thats]
Just a thought here... but looking at that, it looks flawed to me because the distance is in kilometres but the speed of travel as it looks (not done the math myself on it) is in mph and not kmph ..unless ofc uve done the converstion just to confuse us simple people.. ;) hehe
Norcott - Ranger
Hibernian Dragon Slayers [GM]
Eyes and Ears Volunteer

Gahn

Post by Gahn »

Middle finger and a Dragon in the middle -.-
Gahn LoneWolf Celt Seraph Tiarna Prydwen
Na Fianna Dragun
Gahn Lonewolf Guardian [TDA] on Gunnar's Hold

Return to “Off Topic”