Mickey Achmed Mouse

A forum for anyhing not game related.
<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Mickey Achmed Mouse

Post by <ankh> »

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Hamas militants have enlisted the iconic Mickey Mouse to broadcast their message of Islamic dominion and armed resistance to their most impressionable audience — little kids.

A giant black-and-white rodent — named "Farfour," or "butterfly," but unmistakably a Mickey ripoff — does his high-pitched preaching against the U.S. and Israel on a children's show run each Friday on Al-Aqsa TV, a station run by Hamas. The militant group, sworn to Israel's destruction, shares power in the Palestinian government.

"You and I are laying the foundation for a world led by Islamists," Farfour squeaked on a recent episode of the show, which is titled, "Tomorrow's Pioneers."

"We will return the Islamic community to its former greatness, and liberate Jerusalem, God willing, liberate Iraq, God willing, and liberate all the countries of the Muslims invaded by the murderers."

Children call in to the show, many singing Hamas anthems about fighting Israel.

Israel has long complained that the Palestinian airwaves are filled with incitement.

An Israeli organization that monitors Palestinian media, Palestinian Media Watch, said the Mickey Mouse lookalike takes "every opportunity to indoctrinate young viewers with teachings of Islamic supremacy, hatred of Israel and the U.S., and support of 'resistance,' the Palestinian euphemism for terror."

The television station would not comment.

A spokeswoman from Walt Disney Co.'s headquarters in Burbank, Calif., did not immediately return messages asking for comment about the use of a Disney-like character.

Yehia Moussa, a Hamas leader in the movement's Gaza Strip base, denied inciting children against Jews. "Our problem is not with the Jews. Our problem is with the (Israeli) occupation and the occupiers," Moussa said.

Israeli officials denounced the program. David Baker, an official in Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's office, said, "There is nothing comic about inciting young generations of Palestinians to hate Israelis."

Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev called the program "outrageous" and charged that the Palestinians have not carried out their commitments to stop incitement of hatred toward Israel. "Children are taught that killing Jews is a good thing," he said. "Children are taught to hate Jews and to hate nonbelievers."

In strife-ridden Gaza, however, dreams of Islamic dominion and animosity toward the U.S. and Israel are widespread.

A Gaza-based psychologist said the program proved that the culture of glorifying violence had penetrated Palestinian society.

"It's the fault of both (Israel and the Palestinians)," said Samir Zakkout, from the Gaza Community Mental Health Program. "If Palestinians had peace, children wouldn't learn violence."

Children have been traumatized by bloodshed in the course of Israeli attacks and Palestinian infighting, he said.

"There's been a collapse of values," he said. "If I can kill my enemy, I can kill my brother."

Basem Abu Sumaya, head of the Palestinian Broadcasting Corp., said such programming was inappropriate.

"I don't think it's professional or even humane to use children in such harsh political programs," Abu Sumaya said. "Children's nationalist spirit must be developed differently."

The Palestinian Broadcasting Corp. is controlled by Hamas' political rival, the Fatah movement of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas..

Hamas loyalists launched the Al Aqsa satellite channel last year. Bearded young men read the news, often offering live news broadcasts. Islamic music is layered over footage of masked militants firing rockets into Israel. But the channel also broadcasts talk shows, programs about the disabled and cartoons.

Hamas loyalists also run at least five news Web sites, one newspaper — launched just last week — and a radio station.
Source:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070508/ap_ ... ckey_mouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY0zE64thJ4

A couple of days old (this news) but I thought I might post it anyway incase anyone have manage to miss it somehow.

/Ankh

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

I was watching some videos of an Iraqi insurgent "hero" sniper last night on youtube. Whilst he did appear to get some kills it was quite funny cos like 50% of shots missed, 40% of the soldiers just got back up cos it hit their body armour :p Some of it is blatantly photoshopped too.

It's interesting though seeing how these militant groups are using technology, to most of us their new propaganda is amusingly dire but you can see how to many of the poor/uneducated people in these areas it would draw them in.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

Yeah, I think I know what sniper you mean :P BUT they got some really impressive snipers too :(

/Ankh

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Other good video I like is the M1 Abrams being hit by an IED, if you search for "M1 IED" on youtube it's there, love the amount of explosives the insurgents used - lifts the multi-ton tank off the ground yet the tank just lands and keeps on rolling and the crew all survived ;)

There's a new military channel created by the coalition on youtube though apparently showing the coalition videos, not seen it yet though.

The other thing about the sniper vids is they seem a bit odd, I don't understand how the cameraman is so close to the soldiers half the time, it really does make me wonder if a lot more of them are just video edits than anything tbh. The sniper that I was on about, juba or whatever he's called claims like 600+ kills, tbh I really do think it's almost entirely all bullshit, I'm not sure that that many US troops have even died to bullets through the entire war, the majority have been IED/helicopter crash deaths. Getting 600 or so kills would mean one guy is responsible for 20% of US soldiers deaths in Iraq, which, let's face it is pretty ludicrous :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

Return to “Off Topic”