Terror Bomb in London

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Adianna
Emerald Rider

Post by Adianna »

[quote="Xest"]Well no the Californians don't see him as a joke, but I mean the rest of the world tend to ]

And that is something I don't understand. Is an actor less qualified as governour than a lawyer or a scientist or a buisness man?

One should judge him the way he leads his state, not on the way we know him from his movies. Because from his movies we only know the roles he played, not how he is like... well okay, that might have gotten him into that position, but that's why there are elections every now and so on. To chose the best known option. ;)
Adwaenyth - Alathanne - Adianna -=- Face Down / Prydwen-Excalibur

European Time Zones:
http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbr ... ezones/eu/
World Clock - Europe:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/c ... ent=europe

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

[quote="Adianna"]And that is something I don't understand. Is an actor less qualified as governour than a lawyer or a scientist or a buisness man?

One should judge him the way he leads his state, not on the way we know him from his movies. Because from his movies we only know the roles he played, not how he is like... well okay, that might have gotten him into that position, but that's why there are elections every now and so on. To chose the best known option. ]
Agree, I've been to the US 3 times in the last year (California, Utah, Arizona, New Jersey and Illinois) and Canada once and of all the American's I've spoken to, they generally say he's shaping up pretty well, better than a lot expected he would - that's from Californians and the non-Californians. One guy from Sacramento was saying he's shaped up well because an actor that literally began life as somewhat of a nobody and worked his way up learning a lot of life skills on the way can learn politics, but someone brought up to be a politician struggles more to learn life skills, so Arnie's essentially ended up as someone with a clue about the real world getting into politics whereas most politicians are brought up into the role without experiencing so many of the difficulties in life.

One things for sure though, California is the nicest state I've been to for sure so there's definetely something right going on there and all the people I met seemed to be generally happy which is less than I can say for the other states. The other states aren't entirely to blame but the Navajo people in Utah/Arizona had been somewhat shit on by the US goverment which seemed to lead to a lot of more depressed areas there. In Illinois, more specifically, Chicago, people seemed a lot more stressed, it reminded me of back home in England somewhat - generally a good style of living, but also everyone was too busy for everyone else. New Jersey was pretty nice in Philadelphia centre but not so much elsewhere. Of course, that's not to say California doesn't have deprived areas - some parts of LA are notoriously bad, but for the most part the Californians seemed to have the nicest way of life and be the least stressed and worried, they all seemed fairly relaxed in general - even a lot of the not so well off ones I came across.

Of course I still prefer the Canadians overall, such a fantastic bunch of people - those guys apologise to you even if something's your fault not theirs. Going back in 2 weeks but I'll likely head down to Boston and New York to see what the way of life is like there. A lot of US states could take a page out of the Canadians books, learn to relax more and be less agressive ;) Hmm, on that note, so could I :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Finolin wrote:I don't think a loss of support equates to someone being thought of as a joke.
Imo it does. I mean, they actually belive in what he said when he got elected and now they understand what a joke he is.

/Ankh

Adianna
Emerald Rider

Post by Adianna »

Hmm... now who made that joke?

Canadians could have been so much better. They could have had British culture, French cooking and American technology but instead they have British cooking, French technology and American culture.
Adwaenyth - Alathanne - Adianna -=- Face Down / Prydwen-Excalibur

European Time Zones:
http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbr ... ezones/eu/
World Clock - Europe:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/c ... ent=europe

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Adianna wrote:And that is something I don't understand. Is an actor less qualified as governour than a lawyer or a scientist or a buisness man?
Not really, but its a proof (which btw wasnt needed) that ruling a country has nothing to do with being a fair leader. It's all about money - the more money you got the bigger campaign you can do and with a bigger campaign its easier to put the ones that actually got something to say thats worth listening to in the shadow of your own campaign. The ones with money are the ones that are heard. (but same goes with all presidents)

/Ankh

Finolin

Post by Finolin »

Ankh Morpork wrote:
Finolin wrote:I don't think a loss of support equates to someone being thought of as a joke.
Finolin
Imo it does. I mean, they actually belive in what he said when he got elected and now they understand what a joke he is.
I think his election did not have as much to do with believing in him as it did with the situation the state was in and the alternatives with which the voters were presented. If you want to understand the 'joke' that is California politics, I would suggest that the State Legislature's inability to pass a budget is a better place to start, and the ballot proposition system would be a good place to follow up.

I'm sure Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor is a joke for you, but some people take it quite seriously.
Finolin, 50th Elven Void Eldritch ML10 Convoker
Felia, 50th Celt Bard ML10 Sojourner
Fert, 50th Sylvan Arboreal Animist ML10 Convoker
Finality, 50th Sylvan Valewalker ML10 Battlemaster
Finoshar, 50th Shar Hero ML10 Battlemaster
Findrid, 50th Celt Druid ML10 Perfector
Fiat, 50th Celt Druid ML10 Perfector
Finesty, 50th Shar Mentalist ML10 Warlord
Fung, 50th Sylvan Verdant Animist ML10 Convoker
Finchant, 50th Elven Mana Enchanter ML10 Convoker

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

I tend to agree with Ankh here ... i'm not saying that celebraties dont do a good job at it (there're not any diffrent than others) but when you got a lot of money to spend on your campaign you can put other ppl in your shadow.

But whats most important is that you know how to over-talk ppl.

Ankh for president!
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Finolin wrote:I'm sure Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor is a joke for you, but some people take it quite seriously.
You misunderstod me...ofcourse they take him seriously or else he wouldnt have been elected. And the errors he does in his politics are more than serious for the ones that it involve. But that doesnt mean they dont see him as a joke, but there arent much they can do about it now (kind of like with Bush but he is a proof that there is something wrong with the Yanks...making a mistake once is understandable but re-electing him makes you wonder what kind of people they are..)

/Ankh

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Oh yeah, the state was in quite bad shape and he did help it abit...but his way of thinking seem to be different than most citizens he 'rule over' belive in. Im not saying he doesnt try - im just saying that he fails while trying.

He did a classic political move, promise the people the things they want and as he got their votes he start to give them laws and taxes that nobody (or atleast few) actually want or would have voted Yes for.

/Ankh

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Ankh Morpork wrote:You misunderstod me...ofcourse they take him seriously or else he wouldnt have been elected. And the errors he does in his politics are more than serious for the ones that it involve. But that doesnt mean they dont see him as a joke, but there arent much they can do about it now (kind of like with Bush but he is a proof that there is something wrong with the Yanks...making a mistake once is understandable but re-electing him makes you wonder what kind of people they are..)

/Ankh
Just a note, you really can't generalize all yanks are being at fault for Bush - geographically it's almost entirely the underprivalaged states that voted for Bush with a couple of exceptions (i.e. Florida but that was almost 50/50). Bush has control over the uneducated population in the US - probably because of his simplistic image, because well, he's a simplistic guy - he's an overgrown kid. It's the uneducated white population in the US that's the real issue, whilst of course that in itself is a generalization it's a more realistic generalization than blaming all the yanks for Bush coming into power. US states are so very different that it's hard to generalise America about many things.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Off Topic”