Terror Bomb in London

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Argyleyn wrote: Actually, what these groups think is irrelevant. The issue at hand is that they are supported or tolerated by a wide part of the middle eastern populace and that is where their strength lies. In a country whose citizens were hostile towards them they couldn't really last in the long term and would propably be arrested. They can freely wander around the middle east though and gather their resources and recruits there simply because even in an extreme way they represent a widespread wish for vengeance against the foreign oppressors. Fighting the Americans directly isn't an option, the firepower advantage they have is ridiculous Their only solution is performing desperate actions, which sometimes work, like in Madrid.

The issues that cause that support is the Western policy in the middle east, which has a long history of invasions and direct interventions against the popular will.The biggest problems at hand are the Iraq war and the Palestinian issue. Unless these are stopped or solved, i can't see how the situation can change.

Tbh, the same thing happened in France during the occupation of Algiers, bombs were going off left and right in Paris. How many bombs go off now that Algeria has achieved -real- independance? Weren't there mad fundamentalists who would like to blow up France? Yes, but they lost any real support, without which achieving a plan is impossible.
I agree on some points but disagree on others. The movement that is behind this form of terrorism has yet to formulate its political ambitions. I agree that globally it cannot take America on but it can still express it tradition and its demands. I think we are dealing with a movement that has no real tradition as yet so it falls back into religion as its only way to articulate its beliefs. As a result there can be no communication.

It is misled to blame communities for supporting the groups we are talking about that implies a kind of hidden romantic view of communities as cohesive etc. So if we have to justify things with those references it would make more sense to qualify it with a better sense of the sorts of conflicts the so called communities experience.

As for your perspective Mojo of course there is no centre to the world, no real concrete base upon which to have a foundation for your views. I subscribe to that. However could you please explain that to the people with the bombs. Because they sure as hell seem to have a fairly strong reason for doing what they do.
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Childofkhain
Emerald Rider

Post by Childofkhain »

having read this thread i have a few things to say,

First off thank you to those who expressed their concern for my saftey and the others who were involved in what happend.

I think people need to think about what is at hand here, we were attacked by a terrorist organisastion, somthing that has happend frequently in the passed with the IRA being a small example but also the bombing of gay bars and other locations in london and each time as an outsider to the incident i wanted things to be done to those who would cause such pain to innocents. I used to want a full blown invasion of ireland to kick it into submission, i wanted those who acted against people who have no choice in their actions as most gays dont to see that they are not helping the situation and that they should be punished publicly for their actions. I still feel that this should be so.

However, times change ireland is slowly settling down, there is not such prejudice against people who have gay relationships and so on.
However even after 9/11 i thought the invasion of afganistan and iraq a waste of resources and manpower. However now i have been exposed to what the arabs are capable of and what they have been doing to their own people and to the palastinians for years any sympathy i had for them has vanished, I used to live in Bahrain so i know that not all arabian people are the same, in fact most are very nice so i do not encourage people to have witch hunts across the country for all muslims however i feel that we are too soft on those who enter our country, the 9/11 terrorists had EU passports. how could such a lax in security be allowed to the extent that this week a terrorist attack occurd. I didnt want Iraq to be invaded, i used to want troops to pull out of iraq because it was a waste of time.

Now i still want them to pull out of iraq, but for another reason. Across the country martial law should be declaird, the british army should be pulled back into england to remove any and all illegal immagrants, i dont care how its done i just want it done. I lay next to the shatterd corpse of a young woman, her blood was every where, i no longer have pity for those who claim asylem, america doesnt, canada doesnt, australia doesnt even the arabic country's will not allow asylem seekers over their boarders, china doesnt, japan doesnt, so why do we? This must be stopped or bombings like this will continue to happen.

It wont ever let me forget the sceams of trapped people, it wont let me forget that woman's face and i will never be able to wash my hands enough to get her blood off them but somthing needs to be done. They do not descriminate between women and children, they are just a soft target and it isnt right.

I dont want people to side with me, and i dont care if you dont like what i have said here, what happend in london can never be forgiven and i will never forget it.
Amedor wrote:I could imagine George Bush playing a Warlock
pikeh wrote:Britney Spears plays a bainshee.
Requiel wrote:It's not a bug, the encounter is designed to fail if you abuse the game mechanics... If you'd like to report yourself for cheating we'll investigate your problem.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Ankh Morpork wrote:Aye, Fox News is a perfect example. You seen the documentary about Fox News? It's quite scary tbh.

/Ankh
Outfoxed? yes and it is quite scarey. Al Franken who features in the film has written some good books also that u might have read or might like to read, the corporation is another book that also touches on Fox News.
look, no hands!

Now retired

Ankh Morpork

Post by Ankh Morpork »

Mojo wrote:Outfoxed? yes and it is quite scarey. Al Franken who features in the film has written some good books also that u might have read or might like to read, the corporation is another book that also touches on Fox News.
Aye, that one. BBC made a quite nice documentary about neoconservatives too which is worth watching.

/Ankh

Thandruil
Emerald Rider

Post by Thandruil »

After the horrible event which happened in London yesterday, we had a bomb alert at work as well today. I had to work from 10am this morning in a harbour in Belgium, when i got there, everything was closed off, and i had to go guard another entrance to the harbour to keep the press and journalists out. The bomb alert was taken very serious, especially after yesterday and because our King was coming to visit the harbour. After about 2 hours and checking the bomb, they found out it was just a bag with a pair of pants in. Some joker prolly thought it was funny.

And about Iraq, just read an article about it wich said that since the U.S. got there, there hasn't been that much unemployment as with Saddam. More and more people got to live without electricity, gas, food, ... . Most young men join the Police or the army, just to get a living, but in the last year about 13.000 policemen have been killed already. Yes, we hear about it sometimes on the news, but did we ever hear the numbers? Like Ankh said, it's all about the americans who die, and no offence to them ofc, since most prolly don't like being there either, but the lost 1750 men so far, which is hardly a bit more than 10% of the policemen who died, and not even counting civil casualties then.

BUT they said the U.S. got them one good thing tho, since they got there, people now have to opportuniy to buy some high tech technology and goodies, ..... only 1 little problem. Since there is no work, and those who actually work get killed... who will pay for it then??
Thandruil lvl51 Elf Ranger RR6L3 ML10 CL5 :thand:
Thand lvl51 Warden RR6L5 ML10 CL5:wave:
Vanara lvl50 Animist ML10
Extreme lvl50 Blademistress ML10

GM of Fallen Spirits :ranger:

Retired from DAoC now and started BF2142!

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Argyleyn wrote:I think that basing not having an opinion on the fact that the media generally spread false news or propaganda is plain wrong. Yes, they do that, but still it's not that difficult to filter the information. 'Finding the truth on your own' means nothing, you could even go to Iraq and spend a few months there and not find any truth. Yes, FOX news is bad, but is FOX your only source of information?

As you probably know

Rupert Murdoch owns Fox News

Some of Foxes most respected reporters have been fired or have quit because they were unwilling to lie or pull or modify stories on instruction from managment. A lot have gone to court and gone on record giving details.

Rupert Murdoch currently owns

9 satellite networks
100 cable channels
175 newspapers
40 publishers
40 Television stations
1 Movie studio

/edit total audience = 4.7billion thats 3/4 of the planet's population.

(source = outfoxed)

Is it not a safe bet that the same influence weilded over fox is weilded over everything he owns?

I wonder how much mainstream is left? and how easy is it for Joe Bloggs to get access to non mainstream media or even think that he had to?
look, no hands!

Now retired

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Sharkith wrote: As for your perspective Mojo of course there is no centre to the world, no real concrete base upon which to have a foundation for your views. I subscribe to that. However could you please explain that to the people with the bombs. Because they sure as hell seem to have a fairly strong reason for doing what they do.
which people with the bombs? there seem to be so many atm ;)
look, no hands!

Now retired

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

[quote="Mojo"]which people with the bombs? there seem to be so many atm ]

exactly :)
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Belisar
Emerald Rider

Post by Belisar »

Mojo wrote: Some of Foxes most respected reporters have been fired or have quit because they were unwilling to lie or pull or modify stories on instruction from managment. A lot have gone to court and gone on record giving details.
Oddly one of the guys I spoke to in my traffic jam Thursday swears he saw someone being shot by UK police marksmen in Canary Wharf that morning at the time all the bombs were going off.

They said at the time they shot a suicide bomber but has anyone seen it on the news ?

Hard to know sometimes how much you are being told and how accurate it really is.
Brain cells come and brain cells go but fat cells live forever !

Currently playing Hib (ofc) on Uthgard

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Belisar wrote:Oddly one of the guys I spoke to in my traffic jam Thursday swears he saw someone being shot by UK police marksmen in Canary Wharf that morning at the time all the bombs were going off.

They said at the time they shot a suicide bomber but has anyone seen it on the news ?

Hard to know sometimes how much you are being told and how accurate it really is.

I havent heard anything about that .. last thing i heard last night was that they didnt know if the bombs were planted or if it were suicide bombers.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Return to “Off Topic”