Jesus Camp Trailer

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

<ankh> wrote:well gandelf?

/Ankh
I'd give up, he isn't going to answer our questions because he can't answer our questions, he's just avoiding answering them by asking other questions keeping us tied up answering his questions because he can't answer ours :p

It's just another example of why creationists are, to put it bluntly, full of shit :p
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Genedril
Emerald Rider

Post by Genedril »

Damn you Crom - I found that link too & wanted to show my new found knowledge of Pollonium halos & there prescence with regards to porous rock types which allow radon gases to permeate them!!! No one ever came back on that though & I couldn't be bothered to just link to it.

For the record light isn't made of Angel Delight - it's the basis of all human life. Girls are all made from Butterscotch Angel Delight (be honest - it's the one that tastes best iirc) & blokes are made from some other flavour (damn my research is flawed).

Isn't the speed of light effect by interaction with objects/atmospheres & the like but a constant in a vaccum? Or am I guilty of learning/recalling Hollywood science?
Those that can't lead follow.

Those that can lead should admit when they're lost.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Genedril wrote:Damn you Crom - I found that link too & wanted to show my new found knowledge of Pollonium halos & there prescence with regards to porous rock types which allow radon gases to permeate them!!! No one ever came back on that though & I couldn't be bothered to just link to it.

For the record light isn't made of Angel Delight - it's the basis of all human life. Girls are all made from Butterscotch Angel Delight (be honest - it's the one that tastes best iirc) & blokes are made from some other flavour (damn my research is flawed).

Isn't the speed of light effect by interaction with objects/atmospheres & the like but a constant in a vaccum? Or am I guilty of learning/recalling Hollywood science?
Yea, I thought i'd respond, as ive requested the same of Gand with Origins and tAoReason. Gotta practice what you preach :). Trying to not fall into simply googling things and posting links, as its not particularly useful in support of arguments here, as anyone can find any crap to support their argument on google, and without actually having full knowledge of the field, you cant really get very far, which is ofcourse what most of these creationist sites rely on.

Aye, speed of light is a constant for any given medium, remember reading in caesium crystals (or some such) near absolute zero that theyve slowed it down to something stupid, like 10mph. Not sure I buy that one myself as it seems as whacky a thought as christianity.

Oh, and here is a nice quote from http://www.plesiosaur.com.
Richard Forrest wrote: Consider this: Your beliefs describe a the model of a small, brief universe in which mankind under God has a central role. The model of the Universe built by science is vast beyond our understanding, old beyond our comprehension, complex beyond any possibility of our ever understanding even a fraction of the whole. Which model is closer to the mind of God?
Crom, Druid of Na Fianna Dragun

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cue music for full effect.

Thanks to Tuthmes for the link.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

You there as well banana? Would be interested to hear some of your views. Also Gand, what sect are you a member of? I'd like to understand what it is you believe if you arnt gonna provide the info yourself.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A(nimist)-Team

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

Genedril wrote:Damn you Crom - I found that link too & wanted to show my new found knowledge of Pollonium halos & there prescence with regards to porous rock types which allow radon gases to permeate them!!! No one ever came back on that though & I couldn't be bothered to just link to it.

I have reliable evidence that female organisms are infact made of sugar and spice, whereas males ones are made of frogs and snails and puppy dog tails.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Pretty good quote Crom and goes hand in hand with what I mentioned - that there does seem to be a strong correlation between those who beleive in creationism and those unable to grasp the sheer enormity and minuteness involved much scientific theory. I'll certainly admit there are some real mindfucks in a lot of scientific theory such as Einstein's spooky action at a distance and also the concept of "nothingness" which can certainly take some time to get your head round though.

It'd be interesting to see if there is any actual link between people's ability to deal with the scope we're talking about and hence whether they find it easier to beleive the more finite creationist theories or whether it's coincidence or merely ignorance on the behalf of creationists.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Genedril
Emerald Rider

Post by Genedril »

Cromcruaich wrote:I have reliable evidence that female organisms are infact made of sugar and spice, whereas males ones are made of frogs and snails and puppy dog tails.

I require the use of your girlfriend so that I can test your theory Crom!

I actually found the Halo thing quite interesting - shame that the research was flawed. Interestingly he's apparantly billed himself as a PhD, while he's only got an MA. Still at least he attempted to use scientific methods to prove what he wanted. He's taken a very small sample base & managed to make it prove what he wanted while discounting all other explainations for it. The thing about science is that you need to have other sources that try it & look at the results & say 'yes this is indeed how it works/what happens/proves x'. The other sources often look at things outside of the original remit as well (for example why the halos weren't present in other similar rock types that didn't contain uranium)

He's no different from the scientists that claimed to have developed a cold fusion reactor at the end of the day though. The important thing about science is that all does not rest of the word of some or their interpretation, but upon the ability to provide proof from multiple sources with people willing to look at the bigger picture.

On the other hand science doesn't provide any moral framework whatsoever, & some of those in religion are genuinely good ideas (though some would say they're also just common sense).
Those that can't lead follow.

Those that can lead should admit when they're lost.

Cromcruaich

Post by Cromcruaich »

I can see why Gand cannot accept evolution as a theory, at the root of the born again movement is a word for word belief in the bible.

That also includes all the rubbish about homosexuality, including:
[quote="Lev. 20:13"]
If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death]

Though correct me if i'm wrong, this is old testament, do born again christians believe in the old testament as the word of god?

As always, wiki provides a very good account.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sola_scriptura

<ankh>
Emerald Rider

Post by <ankh> »

nibs
Emerald Rider

Post by nibs »

<ankh> wrote:Edit: Actually amazing how you can judge the posts when you havent actually read it either ]/Ankh[/B]

I find that so very hard to believe.

We leave in a society where snap judgements are made on the smallest most insignificant and irrelevant things. Appearence, Style, a Retort, an Action, a Consequence. Surely its fair to say you arent amazed at all at how judgemental a person can be. If your honest, you'll would admit to having made such judgements yourself. As i already stated... judgements are passed on the most insignificant, trivial, benign things.

Im happy to admit that i sit in lectures on a day to day basis and pass judgement on all manner of things. This lecturers useless, unconfident, and unprepared... and this is with 30 seconds of them starting.

Or if you'd prefer, i'm walking down a street, and i see a rather attractive lady approaching. Ofcourse i judge, in my head i'll happily allow my inner monologue to praise of criticise anything i like or dislike!

And the funny thing... The only humans int he world that can go through a day without actively being this judgemental is a child who's mind has yet to be corrupted by this thing that we call 'life'.

So me... Judgeful? Hell yes. But no more than the next person.
Mid/Ava
Gwarp, 42, Savage, LGM AC
Grumblebum, 50, Spiritmaster, ML3
Nibkyrie, 48, Valk, 9xx Alch
Nibmedic, 50, Healer, ML9
Stumblebum, 50, Warrior, ML10

Return to “Off Topic”