Planning a smoking area?

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Quinlan

Post by Quinlan »

Haarewin wrote: at least i'm not "cool" - the smokers seem high up on that list.
And this is very good point at least in my case. It will also answer nana's question from earlier: I started smoking around 15 since it was cool. Now i am just addicted and that is the only reason i smoke

The good part being i decide to try quit smoking once i finnish all the tabacco i have in finland..cant buy new ones there and dont like normal ciggies. So i hope i will succeed. Maybe i will be like Xest once i quit :p
finland:
holland:

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Xest wrote:Only real stalling point is Sharkith's insistance that because the proof isn't 100% definitive, only say, 95%+ for some illnesses, 99.99% for others. Any proof we're further told is all political and part of a conspiracy theory, which is odd when there's less motive for damaging the tobacco industries than there is for protecting them! I think you're right, in that for the majority of the population (i.e. not Sharkith) even as low as 90% certainty is enough of a risk when we're possibly even talking about people's lives! We take risks on a daily basis, each time you cross a road you're asking whether it's safe to cross when there's a 1% chance there could be a joyrider flying round the corner at 130mph for example, but as there's 99% chance that there isn't most the time (i.e. unless you're near Brighton waterfront on a Saturday night :p) we go for it.
The sticking point is clearly your insistence that 'proof' and risk = cause. I have said continually that your wrong on this. You can demonstrate association and be 95% sure that the association is not due to random fluctuation in data but this is not a cause. On this you are simply wrong. Most first year undergraduates in any scientific discipline would know this. Indeed most of the posters here know this.

Now you also smuggle in conspiracy theory and attribute that to me. In fact I have no objections to the WHO positively trying to influence political aspects of health and to do that through political decisions. What I am not going to do is make the mistake your evidently making by claiming that it is scientific. It is what it is Xest politics and ethics backed up by a modicum of science.

By highlighting that this is a political and ethical problem you can see from the thread that many of us agree on the issues. I think by directing attention to the real factors here the arguement is now clearer than when you were beating people with inappropriate ideas about 'proof'. At least I can see the benefits of clarity even if you continue to refuse to see it.
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Quinlan wrote:And this is very good point at least in my case. It will also answer nana's question from earlier: I started smoking around 15 since it was cool. Now i am just addicted and that is the only reason i smoke

The good part being i decide to try quit smoking once i finnish all the tabacco i have in finland..cant buy new ones there and dont like normal ciggies. So i hope i will succeed. Maybe i will be like Xest once i quit :p

Some addictions I don't see that big problem in, if they are at a Normal level, smokeing aint one of them, because of the great harm it does to the body over time, don't get me wrong, no drug/Tobacco addiction is good, but when I see what it does to you'r lungs plus that you do increase the chance of getting Cancer, I know it's something I wouldent even start useing or if I did use it I would stop because of what I do know.

I do know that it aint that easy, but if you want to you can, and I know I would, knowing it causes that much harm.

hm, guess the last post wasent my last after all...Im bored ;D
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Sharkith, I don't know why you're continuing to spout crap and resorting to your continued defamation attempts now that I've demonstrated how wrong you are as I'm not even going to bother wasting my time demonstrating it anymore, there's plenty enough proof in this thread of how fundamentally flawed your position is and how your position keeps fluctuating as new evidence and reasoning is introduced to try and hide your misunderstandings and inability to comprehend even the simplest logic, you really don't need to keep adding more.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Xest wrote:Sharkith, I don't know why you're continuing to spout crap and resorting to your continued defamation attempts now that I've demonstrated how wrong you are as I'm not even going to bother wasting my time demonstrating it anymore, there's plenty enough proof in this thread of how fundamentally flawed your position is and how your position keeps fluctuating as new evidence and reasoning is introduced to try and hide your misunderstandings and inability to comprehend even the simplest logic, you really don't need to keep adding more.
Yeah that's why he's 3rd & you're 10th O.o
The trouble with your arguement is that he's more right than you are & you keep wrongly accusing him of doing exactly what you yourself are doing /slap
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Gandelf wrote:Surely I should be bottom of the list? After all I started the thread, which must mean I'm the least cool of all! I feel cheated! :'(
Yeah but it's been a very entertaining thread! :)
& Moley said he hates all smokers which is a totally uncool thing to say which is why he's last. Luckily he has good taste in music else I'd have to go round hammering all his grassy hummocks :D
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Quinlan wrote:Believing commercials is like believing everything in the media..in general not a wise thing to do :)
its like believeing in the Easter Bunny...or Weather Man
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Quinlan wrote:Maybe i will be like Xest once i quit :p
Chances are you wil be :p
The people who hate smoking the most seem to be ex-smokers :)
Not sure bout this thread...i mean irl :D
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Takitothemacs
Emerald Rider

Post by Takitothemacs »

but it gets worse... what about those that use mobile phones?

People using mobile phones are getting tumors in their heads because of the mobile phone emitting microwave radiation... others around them are being subjected to passive mobile phone use possibly causing them to develop tumors too.... now personally I dont make any calls but I am subjected to passive mobiling every day on the streets of london, in pubs/clubs and even worse on public transport... yes when confined inside a metal box with nowhere for the microwave radiation to escape I am being bombarded with tumor causing radiation making it more probable that I will develop brain tumors as a result of passive mobiling. Surely there should be a law that prohibits people from mobiling in public places or anywhere that the radiation might possibly could with a reasonable prevailing breeze affect some others based on the fact there is a remote possiblity that has not been conclusively proven to actually cause tumors... in short ban mobile phones (especially those ones that kids have that play their music loud on busses/trains with the audio quality of a 20 year old am radio) I tell you mobile phones are killing people... and passive mobiling is contributing to the deaths of people, the NHS will be inundated with an increased number of cases of tumors caused by passive mobiling in 20-30 years time... you will all see im right about this when you have forgotten I exist and they finally prove that passive mobiling is responsible for the debt in the health services and the increased numbers of people dying from mobile related illness.

now give me my place at the top of the cool list! :P
Hib Pryd/Excal Retired
Littlefirby Lv51 ML9 CL10 Lurishade Thunderer

Mid Avalon - Retired
Cartilage - Lv 50 Bonedancer
Tigerstripe - LV50 Mauler
Xanidiu - Shammy BB

Lieva
Emerald Rider

Post by Lieva »

Takitothemacs wrote: I tell you mobile phones are killing people... and passive mobiling is contributing to the deaths of people,
thats true..but only because passive mobiling drives people so bonkers they commit homicide :p
Lievaordiea x Eldritch
Peonchants x Enchanter
Hibernia

Return to “Off Topic”