Planning a smoking area?

A forum for anyhing not game related.
Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

OohhoO wrote:Well being a parent is a hard & stressy job, & you're not going to get everything right (& it would probably be a disaster if you did). You have to make choices & compromises & only time will end up telling wether or not you made a good job of it.

Looking at my daughter & her personality I think we've done a pretty reasonable job thus far - not perfect, but not bad. My smoking 3-5 ciggies an evening on the balcony is a small thing compared to parents who for instance stuff their children full of sweets & biscuits or feed them out of tins & the freezer & microwave rubbish & oven chips & <shudder> McDonalds & coca-cola & other sweet drinks. Or people who have kids at 16 or earlier just so they can scrounge as much as possible off the state & completely ignore their kids development into mature human beings. Or parents who beat their kids up or sexually abuse them or spend every evening at the pub & stagger home stinking of beer or work until their kids are in bed or spend half their evenings screwing their secretary or let their kids stay out with the chavs until midnight every night.
Did I already cover the majority of modern parents?

I have never really understood why people need to compare things, saying there are worse things, ofcourse there is, but just because some things are worse it dosent make another one more right.

It's like if I would be drinking more or less every day and then say that it could be worse like Hard drugs, I don't see things like you do thats for sure, as I said I aint perfect, but I wouldent argue with someone if he told me that I was an idiot for useing this or that, because he would be perfectly right.

Before you have a family I don't really care, but when you do then I have zero tolerance tbh, there is no excuses for useing any kind of drugs atleast not when you got kids.

I don't expect this to be the case really, because thats just not how the reality looks today, but makeing excuses for useing whatever drug annoys me, because there is none.

I don't doubht that you have raised you'r kids well, that wasent really the point atall.
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

Ovi
Emerald Rider

Post by Ovi »

How can something increase the risk of disease and yet not cause the disease?

For example, if there is 1% of getting lung cancer so out of 100 people 1 person gets lung cancer. If those 100 people all smoke, and there is an increased risk (say 2% now) of getting cancer, we now have 2 people in that 100 got cancer, so wasn't the 2nd one caused by smoking?

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Sharkith wrote:Now your misconstruing what I am saying in the same way that you are deliberately misconstruing the level of proof that currently exists in relation to passive smoking. In fact your just being dishonest in the rush to be right. I don't get why your so insecure about it just accept that you over egged the argument and let it be.

The simple fact is the vast majority posting here seem to accept the ethical principles underlying the argument. Why you insist on beating people over the head with it I guess I will never know.

/shrug
As usual, you hide behind a veil of defamation in an attempt to hide the fact you have a horribly inconsistent position that relies entirely on attempts to twist the definition of words to suit your weak, and thus far, unproven argument.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Elrandhir

Post by Elrandhir »

Ovi wrote:How can something increase the risk of disease and yet not cause the disease?

For example, if there is 1% of getting lung cancer so out of 100 people 1 person gets lung cancer. If those 100 people all smoke, and there is an increased risk (say 2% now) of getting cancer, we now have 2 people in that 100 got cancer, so wasn't the 2nd one caused by smoking?

Ofcourse it causes the disease, not sure why people would say otherwise, in many cases people get it neways because of genes, but saying that smoking wouldent cause Cancer is bull.

I know of someone who had Cancer for about 6 Years, and after those 6 Years of pure hell he will still die(Don't know this person all to well, was someone I talked to awhile back), but I do think people should consider that when they Smoke or whatever.

No it dosent have to be the cause of the illness, but it might, and it's just not worth it, 6 Years with a disease like that is something other people couldent even start to understand, people think it will never happen to them, but it's not that rare getting Cancer nowadays tbh.

Ohwell, I think I have said enough in this Thread, people do as they like, but I do think it's worth thinking about if it really is worth the risk ;D
Elrandhir L50 Hero 7l7 Thunderer
Elthorian L50 6l7 Ranger Silverhand
Elthunder L50 4lx Eldritch
Elrandhira L50 5lx Druid BB
Elradah L50 Easymode Bainshee
Shimari L50 Animist
Ailanah L50 Enchanter
Vinterwolf L50 gimp Bard
<Crimson Tears> sweden:
(N)o (P)aiN (N)o (G)aiN

OohhoO

Post by OohhoO »

Elrandhir wrote:I have never really understood why people need to compare things, saying there are worse things, ofcourse there is, but just because some things are worse it dosent make another one more right.

It's like if I would be drinking more or less every day and then say that it could be worse like Hard drugs, I don't see things like you do thats for sure, as I said I aint perfect, but I wouldent argue with someone if he told me that I was an idiot for useing this or that, because he would be perfectly right.

Before you have a family I don't really care, but when you do then I have zero tolerance tbh, there is no excuses for useing any kind of drugs atleast not when you got kids.

I don't expect this to be the case really, because thats just not how the reality looks today, but makeing excuses for useing whatever drug annoys me, because there is none.

I don't doubht that you have raised you'r kids well, that wasent really the point atall.

In an ideal world I would probably agree with you to a certain extent...
-
Paddock - L60 Male Man Hunter - SM Tailor
Moegren - L53 Male Man Captain - SM Weaponsmith GM Woodworker
Paddreth - L60 Male Man Minstrel - SM Jeweller GM Cook
Skyros - L57 Male Man Loremaster - SM Scholar GM Farmer
Pauncho - L60 Male Hobbit Burglar - SM Armoursmith
-

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Think this has gone a bit off track here. I got peed off cos Xest told me that if i smoked outside it was harming him anyway.
What about all the deo's you use? Or the BBQ's you do? or as been said when you drive your car ... and more important every time you use you mobile phone.
What if i would say i want you to stop using you mobile phone cos the waves it sends out could cause me to get cancer?

I dont smoke near kids or any other ppl that dont smoke. If i go to the pub i go outside for a smoke. If i had a smoke i eat a mint so non smokers shouldnt have to smell the smoke.
I have no problem at all with smoke being banned from pubs and restaurants and public places. But in the open air i will still have my sigarette. And nobody should comment on that or say i'm commiting manslaughter cos thats just pure bullshit.

And to answer nana's question.
I started smoking for reasons i wont get into now. It was stupid.
I enjoy it. It does relax me when i'm stressed. It tastes good. And when i have a vanilla one it also smells good ;)
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

Xest wrote:As usual, you hide behind a veil of defamation in an attempt to hide the fact you have a horribly inconsistent position that relies entirely on attempts to twist the definition of words to suit your weak, and thus far, unproven argument.
rofl your a right fool sometimes.
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Satyn
Emerald Rider

Post by Satyn »

Sharkith wrote:rofl your a right fool sometimes.
He isnt, he's backed in a corner and he created that himself. But he believes that he's right and will do all sorts of tricks to prove that.
Fallen Spirits GM
Obscurum GM
E&E
satyn1:

Sharkith

Post by Sharkith »

I know like flame baiting - an entertaining read though I have to say that. ;)
Na Fianna Dragun

Karak-Eight Peaks, Kiera ze Witch Hunter

Eve online - Kaminjosvig.

Xest
Emerald Rider

Post by Xest »

Satyn wrote:He isnt, he's backed in a corner and he created that himself. But he believes that he's right and will do all sorts of tricks to prove that.
As opposed to believing smoke has the courtesy to stay at the door?
Sharkith wrote:rofl your a right fool sometimes.
Sharkith wrote:I know like flame baiting - an entertaining read though I have to say that.
Point proven, you have really do have no argument.
OFFICER XEST - PROTECTING YOU AGAINST FORUM CRIME
Che Xefan, el presidente.

Return to “Off Topic”